Wellness

The Importance of Creativity and How to be Creative This Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

When the weather changes, depending on the person, creativity can either be inspired or inhibited. Some see the leaves changing color and are reminded that the warm weather is fading, but some feel the cold air and feel at peace and inspired. Creative expression in any way, shape, or form, is so important and can be incredibly meaningful in moments of inspiration or moments of feeling stuck. Wherever you find yourself in the fall, here are some ways to express yourself creatively, hopefully bringing you some joy and satisfaction.

Art

Whether you’re a natural Picasso or have never painted a day in your life, painting, drawing, and any other form of art are great ways to simply do something creative. I have always loved grabbing a cup of tea, a sketchpad, a few warm toned colors, and sitting outside to draw what I see. Simply observing all of the colors, the visuals of fall, and not worrying about what the final product looks like. Use this as an opportunity to calm your mind and sit in the moment. Art of any kind, really, is a great way to achieve that goal.

Walking, Driving, and Music

Creativity can be daunting, often it seems like a bigger task than it actually is. However, creativity can be something as simple as putting on your favorite music and taking a walk or going on a drive with the windows down, and just looking at the beautiful colors of fall, feeling the fresh air, and listening to the crunch of leaves as you put down your foot. It can also be helpful to go on a walk or drive without music, using all of your senses to deeply feel everything around you with no interference.

Baking

In college, it can be quite difficult to bake, as many students in dorm rooms do not have a kitchen to use. This, in and of itself, is an opportunity to be creative. Make dirt cups (chocolate pudding, oreos, and gummy worms), microwave some pasta, make a mug cake! With baking, not only are you doing something creative, but you also get a tangible result which, for many, can make the process even more rewarding.

Dancing

Dancing is such a fun, versatile form of being creative. Whether it’s professionally dancing, watching a dancing television show like Dancing with the Stars, playing Just Dance, or having a dance party with your friends, dancing can be such an engaging form of creative expression.

do something you love

Creativity can truly be anything. Sports, dance, singing, writing, drawing, cooking, and so much more. Fall is the time for midterms and often when classes really start to pick up, so making time to do something you love, something creative, every day can be incredibly powerful. 

Creative expression can be so beneficial in so many different ways. I implore you to find something you love to do, or try one of the above suggestions this fall, and try to do something creative every day.

Ania Sacks

Illinois '26

Hi! I'm Ania Sacks and I'm a freshman at the University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign studying English.