gen z social media?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
gen z social media?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
NETFLIX
Wellness > Mental Health

Taking A Social Media Cleanse

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Do you find yourself mindlessly scrolling through Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, Tik Tok, or whatever platform of your choosing, only to be disappointed by the time you close out of the app? I always feel like seeing people’s life highlights on their social media pages can put a damper on your own spirits and leave you feeling inferior or somehow inadequate. Often, a good social media cleanse is necessary to put things back in perspective in your own life.

im the problem trend?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
@kelseydangerous / @kelseysoles / @keepingupwithhopie

What do i do when i take a social media cleanse?

The easiest thing to do in this case is delete all of your social media apps. This might feel strange and your home screen will look empty, but this will eliminate the urge to check one of your accounts. I do not recommend completely deleting each account and its memories because you might regret this rash decision in the future. However, if you plan on taking an extended break from social media (I’m talking months and maybe even years) then deleting your accounts might not be so bad. This way, you can start over in the future.

Why should I take a social media cleanse?

There are numerous mental health benefits in taking a social media cleanse. For starters, you will remove the need to compare yourselves to others. As President Theodore Roosevelt said, “comparison is the thief of joy” and I couldn’t agree more. When you constantly see someone that you perceive as superior, that automatic comparison between yourself and them happens in your head and it can have detrimental impacts. For example, you might find yourself trying to alter your own appearance to look “better,” and this may have a long-lasting negative impact on your mental health. When this influence is removed, you can focus on yourself and create a life you want to live.

When should i take a social media cleanse?

There is no designated time to do this. The best advice I can give in this area is to do it when it feels right for you. When I do a social media cleanse, I typically do it when I go home for holiday breaks or during the summer. This works for me because I know nothing pertinent will come up during my break and I can focus on relaxation from the pent up stress of the semester. Not having to worry about checking notifications or checking who posted when and what can improve that state of your relaxation.

I know we live in a world that revolves around social media connections and in some ways, that can be beneficial. But when it really comes down to it, the most important relationships and networks you will create are those that happen in real life, face to face. So, get off your phone and enjoy the real world!

Hi everyone, my name is Solomiya and I am a junior majoring in Kinesiology at UIUC. Though I study within a STEM related field, I have always loved the arts- especially writing. I am so excited to be on this team and rekindle that writer's spark!