Sunday Reset: Starting The Week Off Right

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

As a college student, the weekend is used to make up for all of the hard work from the past week. With all of the fun has, the time always feels like its gone too quickly! Every weekend, Sunday comes back around to remind you that you have to go to class the next day and resume all responsibilities you had been ignoring.

No matter how much you may want to sleep the day away, you can’t. You have to use the time to prepare yourself for the long week ahead of you! What I do to ensure that I am ready for the week that lies ahead is my personal favorite college tradition: the Sunday reset.

Wake up!

The first, and most important, step to having a successful Sunday reset is waking up. Whether this be at 8:00 am or 1:00 pm… get up! Instead of laying in bed and wasting the day away, it is crucial to wake up and get moving. Personally, I tend to wake up on the side nearing afternoon and follow the tradition my friends and I have created called “the recovery burger.” We all set our alarms to eventually meet at a little shop and buy loads of food to recover from and, of course, debrief, the weekend.

Get Productive

This recovery isn’t only about starting your day though, it’s also about starting your upcoming week in a positive way! My favorite way to feel prepared for the week is by writing out every assignment I have to do and the order that I have to complete it. Sitting outside on the quad with a coffee or in the library makes me feel much more alive, so I would definitely recommend going somewhere other than your dorm.

Clean up

Waking up on Monday morning to a messy room is the worst feeling. Every time I do it, I wish that my Sunday self had just cleaned up because now this mess will only get worse as the week goes on. So. before you get mad at yourself… straighten up your space! Start with putting away the piles of clothes on the floor or moving makeup back to its designated spot on your desk. And if you aren’t a fan of cleaning, put on some music! I promise it will make the process much more fun.

Take a long, long shower

After a weekend spent at parties and get-togethers with friends, you probably feel gross after the festivities. Going to classes feeling as if you just got home at 3:30 a.m. is definitely not how you want to feel, and one way to combat this is to shower. By taking a long, hot, and steamy shower, you will feel better than ever.

I know how it feels to get a little too awesome over the weekend and regret it Sunday morning, but having a productive Sunday is so important to start your week on the right foot! So, trust me when I say that a Sunday reset will help you recover from the amazing nights you had and prepare you for the week ahead.

Hi! My name is Hazel Polanco and I am a freshman at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign. I am majoring in political science on the Pre-Law track and am minoring in legal studies and journalism! In my free time, I like to go to the gym, read, write, and experiment with different hobbies.