STYLE: 5 Trends Guys Hate That We Love

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

I think we can all agree when I say that guys and girls are on completely different pages when it comes to a lot of things. Style and fashion trends seem to be no different. The popular website, Total Frat Move, recently put out an article tearing the high-waisted shorts trend to pieces, essentially telling all girls that unless we have the body of a supermodel, we need to put the high-waisted shorts in the back of our closets.

Speaking as a girl who owns no less than seven pairs of these so-called atrocities, this article really got me thinking about all the trends that I, along with tons of other college girls, cannot get enough of. So, I sat down with a couple of my guy friends to ask them all about the top five trends they see girls wearing that they really just don’t understand, and here is what we came up with.

5. Fake Glasses

Speaking as a girl who has never needed glasses but has always wanted them, I support this trend whole-heartedly. On the other hand, guys tend to view this as too trendy and hipster, but nerdy chic will always be cute!

4. Sock Buns

Some guys have a problem with this trend because they think it makes a girl look uptight and harsh. What guys don’t understand, though, is that sometimes we’re just having a bad hair day, and this easy up-do is a great way to turn that bad hair day around.

3. Maxi Skirts

Blame it on self-proclaimed “legs guys.” The fact that the entirety of our legs is covered when we wear these, it is understandable that some guys are not feeling this look. The great thing about the growing popularity of this trend is that there are more options than ever. The tighter, more fitted version is popular right now which may change some guys’ opinions next time we decide to throw on a maxi.   

2. Rompers

This trend has come under attack by many members of the opposite sex. Many claim rompers to resemble a child’s onesie. However, there are so many chic options out there, like this BCBG one; it looks anything but childish.

1. High-Waisted Shorts

After one of my friends called my favorite pair of high-waisted, cut-off jean shorts a diaper and  TFM’s recent article, it is no wonder this is the number one trend we love, but guys hate. While I understand where guys are coming from, I do not think this trend is going away anytime soon. This summer, these shorts were a great option to wear with your favorite crop top, a style I know many of us wore basically every day. And now, with the emergence of high-waisted pants and jeans, this trend is sure to carry on to fall and winter styles. Sorry boys!