Spring Cleaning Tips to Freshen Up Your Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

As the semester winds to a close, it’s that time of year again – spring cleaning! It’s the perfect time of year to declutter your space and your mind. Here are some tips to help you feel beyond fresh for the summer ahead.

1) Set Up a Rocking Playlist

woman listening to music and dancing
Photo by Gustavo Fring from Pexels

It’s not easy to get into the spring cleaning mindset, but a great way to do it is to create a playlist full of jams that’ll keep you feeling energetic and screaming your favorite lyrics while you do it; with any luck, it’ll be over before you know it!

2) Donate Unnecessary Things

Find yourself realizing there’s clothes in your closet that haven’t been worn in years and books you haven’t touched in ages? There’s no shame in that, but pack them up and give the most gently-used items to a local charity so they can give someone else some joy. Have something that’s not in donation condition? Arrange a swap with some friends so you can all get rid of things that don’t bring you joy!

3) Physically Clean Everything

hand sanitizer and cleaning supplies
Photo by Kelly Sikkema on Unsplash

It can be overwhelming to do everything, but even breaking it down and taking things step by step to make sure absolutely everything from the dust bunnies under the couch to the leftovers you forgot in the fridge is cleaned can make a huge difference in making a space feel much less dreary.

4) Clean Out Your Electronics

In the digital age, a cluttered desktop or camera roll is the equivalent of a cluttered desk, so take a break and do the backup into a hard drive you’ve been putting off for months, delete those pictures of the homework from months ago, and create a renaming/sorting system for all those files you just left as Untitled. 

5) Commit to a New Self Care Practice

Girl doing Yoga
Photo by cottonbro from Pexels

Whether it’s ten minutes of yoga, waking up a few minutes earlier, adding something new to your skincare routine, or starting journaling, now is the perfect time to get into a hobby that will refresh you!

Mehek Kapur

Illinois '23

I'm a sophomore at the University of Illinois double majoring in English and Organizational Psychology and Vice President/Recruitment Advisor at Delta Kappa Delta.
The official page for the University of Illinois Her Campus chapter.