This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

In the last few days, University of Illinois students have gone from mildly concerned for the coronavirus to somewhat confused over what’s to come in the next few weeks. On Wednesday, the president of the university sent a massmail email telling students, faculty and staff about the gradual adjustment to online classes post-spring break. Not only does this concern our classes going forward, but it has given some students a wake up call about their plans over break. With the coronavirus in the back of my mind as I proposed this article, I was very hopeful vacations and spring break activities would be able to continue as normal. However, as I hesitated to write this throughout the week, as more and more news broke over what was changing, I couldn’t advise people to go see a concert or go to a game if it wasn’t safe. In lieu of the advice to stay away from big crowds, I want to suggest some fun activities that you can switch out (and save money, let’s be honest) in case you had some of these plans cancelled (like I have).

Concert with confetti
Photo by Pablo Heimplatz on Unsplash

1. Concert in the City –> Stream a Live Concert Film

This upcoming week on March 17, I was looking forward to going to a Dermot Kennedy concert in Chicago. He’s an Irish singer-songwriter and it will be St. Patrick’s Day- what more could I ask for out of the holiday?! However, his last few remaining U.S. shows are being rescheduled because of the virus. As a way to cope, I’m thinking of all the live concert films on streaming services that are available. Of course, nothing beats in-person, but I’m not opposed to watching Taylor Swift’s Reputation Stadium Tour film again.

Felicity Warner / HCM

2. Go Watch a Movie in a Theater –> Watch From the Comfort of Your Home!

You may see a theme here after a while, but it goes to show how limitless and fun streaming or plugging in an old VHS/DVD can be! If you and your hometown friends want to hang out and binge watch “Love Is Blind” instead of paying for a movie (honestly, is there anything out right now?) then I suggest having some fun with this one.

The Lalaguy Hands On Breakfast Date Waffles And Hashbrowns
Her Campus Media

3. Going to a Chain Restaurant –> Visit or Get Take Out From a Local Cafe/Brunch Place

This idea can be a little tricky because some local spots may have differing hours out of concerns for large crowds at normal peak times of the day. However, small businesses are definitely getting hit right now. Out of generalized fear, people just aren’t shopping or eating out, period. If you look at the stock market, it’s not doing too well because the virus is affecting how people consume. In that case, do your research on how a cafe or restaurant is responding to the virus and take a break for a little bit. Do some homework there or catch up with a friend who goes to another school.

Girl Harvest Farm
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon

4. Spring Cleaning

This one may go without saying, but if we’re home for an extended period of time, perhaps beyond a normal week of break, let’s do some cleaning! Be aware that cleaning supplies may be a little scarce in places like Walmart and Target because of panic-stricken people. However, if you have enough at home, help out your parents or guardians with chores or clean your room (*gasp* I know). If weather permits, help out around the house if one of your parents has a green thumb, or if they want to move around some deck furniture in preparation for spring. 

During this break, I hope you’re cautious and aware. At the same time, I hope you relax and take time for yourself during this stressful time! 

Hi there, I'm studying Painting and Graphic Design at the University of Illinois! I'm also an alum of the University of Leeds study abroad program (spring 2019). I'm interested in making illustrations and social media content, reading for fun, and love bike riding. I'm staying a fifth year to complete both of my degrees. I also enjoy taking Advertising, Business, and History classes too.
The official page for the University of Illinois Her Campus chapter.