This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

The sun is shining, the cherry blossoms are blooming and spring is finally here! It’s a beautiful time for a (COVID safe!) picnic with friends, and you can impress them with one of these simple, refreshing and delicious spring desserts. Whether you’re a fan of chocolate, fruit, or somewhere in between, there’s a perfect option to please every different kind of sweet tooth (there’s even a vegan recipe!).

If you don’t find something you like here, I suggest looking on Pinterest! It’s my go-to for recipes of any kind. These are either family recipes or ones I’ve found and tweaked over time. Feel free to play around with these and add your own personal touches. 

Lemon Bars

These lemon bars, with a good balance of sweet and a bit of sour, are the perfect refreshing dessert on a warm spring day.  

lemon water in glasses on marble countertop
Photo by Nanxi Wei from Unsplash

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine one-and-a-half cups flour, two-thirds of a cup powdered sugar and one-and-a-half sticks of butter. Press the mixture into a greased 9×13 pan and bake for 20 minutes. While that’s in the oven, whisk three eggs (already beaten), one-and-a-half cups sugar, three tablespoons flour and one-quarter cup lemon juice. Pour this over the crust after it comes out of the oven and bake it again for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Let it cool, dust it with powdered sugar and you’re all done!

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

These are always such a hit with my friends. Trust me, it completely elevates a classic chocolate chip cookie. Make a big batch, they won’t last long!

cooking cookies with milk
Photo by Rai Vidanes from Unsplash

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix two sticks softened, salted butter with one-and-a-half cups brown sugar. Add one teaspoon vanilla and one egg, then mix. Stir in two cups of quick-cooking oats, one-and-a-half cups flour and one teaspoon baking soda. Finally, stir in one cup chocolate chips and, if you would like, one cup chopped nuts. Drop tablespoons of dough onto a baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes, depending on your oven and your preference. Let them cool and enjoy!

Vegan Almond Coconut Cookies

Coconut is one of the best spring and summer flavors, and these vegan almond coconut cookies will make you feel like you’re on the beach even when you’re on the Quad or in your kitchen. 

Coconuts and Coconut with sugar
Photo by Tijana Drndarski from Pexels

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Combine two cups of unsweetened coconut flakes, a half-cup of dark chocolate chips, three tablespoons salted almonds and three-quarters of a cup of sweetened condensed coconut milk (you may need to heat it up if it’s not quite liquid). Scoop out the dough and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Press each cookie down to flatten and bake for 12-14 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool and indulge!

(Recipe from https://www.eatingbirdfood.com/almond-coconut-cookies/!)

Baking can be relaxing and fun, and it’s a great way to show people you care. Have fun with it and don’t forget to treat yourself to some of your own desserts! 

Gina Jagminas

Illinois '24

Hi! I'm Gina, and I'm a freshman at UIUC. I'm undeclared currently, but looking to go into History or Economics. You can find me hanging out with friends, trying new foods, or watching movies with any free time I have.
The official page for the University of Illinois Her Campus chapter.