absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Signature Campus Restaurants You Have to Try

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

U of I has a large and diverse food scene; not only are there lots of restaurants lined up on Green Street, but the entire campus has restaurants that are worth trying.

Here are some of the more well-known restaurants on campus that you may not have been to or heard of before: 

1. Cracked

Location: 619 E Green St., Champaign, IL, 61820

If you enjoy eating breakfast foods at all times of the day, visit Cracked for breakfast wraps, bowls, sandwiches and burritos. The restaurant also serves soup and tater tots to go along with your meal.

Menu recommendations: White Cheddar Bacon Tots, Build Your Own Breakfast Bowl, Vegasm

2. Fat Sandwich

Location: 502 E John St., Champaign, IL, 61820

After a long night out, you might be craving something extra greasy and savory. Fat Sandwich is one of the University’s popular — or some might even say notorious — places to try out. It’s either a hit or miss for different people, but it won’t hurt to give it a try. 

Menu recommendations: Fat Milf, Fat Magnum, Fat Mess, Mac N Cheese Bites

3. Sakanaya

Location: 403 E Green St., Champaign, IL, 61820

Sakanaya is the perfect place to go on special occasions, such as a date night or a fancy birthday dinner. Although it is relatively a bit pricier than other restaurants on Green Street, the quality of the food and mood of the restaurant definitely make it worth the price. 

Menu recommendations: Willis Tower, Cali Crunch Roll, Windy City Roll, Chirashi 

4. Joe’s Brewery 

Location: 706 S 5th St., Champaign, IL, 61820

Although Joe’s is more widely known for its bar scene, it also serves yummy “bar food,” such as wings, fries and burgers. Those who have tried the Joe’s burgers always say they would come back for more. 

Menu recommendations: California Burger, Bacon & Bleu Burger, Illini Burger, Wings, BBQ Pork Nachos

5. Chopstix

Location: 202 E Green St., Champaign, IL, 61820

Want some tasty Chinese take-out to eat while you watch a movie? Need a late-night study snack delivered to your door? Craving something after a night out? Chopstix has good Chinese food for decent prices and portions and also provides the option to deliver. 

Menu recommendations: Shrimp Fried Rice, Beef Lo Mein, Kung Pao Chicken, Moo Shu Pork

6. The Bread Company 

Location: 706 S Goodwin Ave., Urbana, IL, 61801

The Bread Company is another place that is perfect for special occasions. You may have seen the restaurant’s famous fondues on social media. It has different menus for lunch, dinner and Sunday brunch and also sells bread and tapas. 

Menu recommendations: Prosciutto Grilled Sandwich (lunch), Nutella and Strawberries Sweet Crepe (brunch), Classic Cheese Fondue, Shrimp Fettuccine (dinner)

Photo credits: Julie Kang

Julie Kang

Illinois '20

Julie Kang is a Journalism major at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. In her free time, Julie enjoys ice skating, shopping, talking and eating with friends and reading. Follow her on Instagram at @julieebaaby
The official page for the University of Illinois Her Campus chapter.