This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

In life, we’re constantly eager for what’s to come next. We go through the everyday steps of life and continue to think about the moments as a checklist. If you were to think about a time that you did something for yourself within the previous days, would it really be for yourself or as something you feel obligated to do?

a photo of an open planner
Free-Photos | Pixabay

For me, I became obsessed with the fact of watching TV or movies based on what my peers were watching. I would make sure that I was “up to date” with what was trending either on social media, within social circles or what is the newest release at the time.

Each character has a story or a message to tell. Whether you realize it or not at the time, these messages are there to act as a component to relate yourself to the story; film directors do this intentionally. In order to continually draw viewers, producers and writers write stories to relate personally or to create a universal theme with the audience. 

I think back on several shows or movies I’ve watched and couldn’t even tell you what happened in the climax. Or I couldn’t relate to the people talking about this. I was just going through the motions of my daily life while listening to the characters read their scripts or act their parts. I constantly missed the importance of the messages and how I could take something out of the certain aspect.

a bunch of books
Patrick Tomasso on Unsplash

Of course, I jumped onto the “Tiger King” bandwagon and watched the show, but in reality, I didn’t have any interest in the subject matter. I couldn’t tell you if I’m watching it to understand the memes in pop-culture media or if I’m seeking an understanding in the context. 

Re-watching shows, for me, gives me a further understanding to find a relatable aspect between myself and the characters. As I grow older and begin to experience more in my life, I find more comparison factors to relate to shows and understand the lessons at hand. TV shows are the outlying factors that are meant to teach you life’s most important lessons. How you take it upon yourself and your future is up to you.

remote control turning on the tv
Photo by Glenn Carstens-Peters from Unsplash

Overall, I find it heartwarming and versatile to re-watch shows and movies. Whether you took it to heart or not, the messages presented in everyday broadcasting are meant to relate to one’s self. We’re meant to find meaning in television and relate it to ourselves. The lessons are created to develop a sense of self as you evolve with age. Instead of moving through the moments of life and watching TV while doing something else at the same time, I try to sit down and understand the messages of whatever show I’m watching at the time. 

Hi everyone! I am currently a Sophomore planning to study Marketing and Information Systems, with a passion for writing both professionally and conversationally.
The official page for the University of Illinois Her Campus chapter.