This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Being apart from the ones we love most isn’t easy. This quarantine has given me time to reflect on how much I love and appreciate my friends. It has been really difficult not living with my “campus family” and I’m not the best at keeping in touch with people when I don’t see them all the time. This week, I realized how much I miss spending time with my friends, so I decided that we all needed to have a virtual girl’s night. 

You might be wishing you could laugh and cry with your people. Whether it’s your friends or your S.O., it’s important to make time to see each other face-to-face, even if it’s virtually. Here are some tips for making your virtual date nights successful.

1. Schedule A “Date Night” In Advance

Picking out a day once a week to have your virtual date night is a great way to ensure that everyone will be able to attend. It’s usually better to plan your date night in advance, just in case people have made plans with their families. With the way things are going, you might think it’s okay to schedule things last minute, but people have plans. Plan your virtual date night at least a week out so you have something to look forward to in the week to come. 

a photo of an open planner
Free-Photos | Pixabay

2. Get Dressed Up

Let’s be honest; how many of us have actually done our hair or makeup or even put on jeans since this quarantine began? I know I haven’t. And thats awesome to be comfy and be the all-natural you. But, it would be pretty fun if you showed up to your virtual date night looking and feeling your best. I usually feel better with a little makeup and a nice shirt on. So, trade in your sweats for a pair of jeans and a nice shirt and put on some mascara and lip gloss.

Skincare morning routine
Kevin Laminto

3. Plan Something To Do

Will you play a game, watch a movie, have a happy hour, plan a fun trip or talk about your bucket list? Whatever you choose to do, be intentional about doing something other than just talking about COVID-19. Everyone’s getting tired of this being the primary topic of conversation, so try something else. Get in some smiles and laughs. Have a good time talking with them like you would if there weren’t a quarantine keeping you apart. 

Neon lights that spell out "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun."
Photo by Leonardo Sanches on Unsplash

However you decide to plan your virtual date night, it’s a good idea to spend quality time with your loved ones. You all miss each other, so make a plan, get ready, hop on a Zoom call and have fun! 

Hi y'all! I am a senior at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign studying Advertising with a minor in Psychology. I'm passionate about popcorn, puppies, people and more. I'm looking forward to wherever life takes me!
The official page for the University of Illinois Her Campus chapter.