This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Plagued by positivity…two words that really don’t belong in the same sentence but at the same time do. Have you ever found yourself in a situation in which everything around you just seems to be so happy it’s irritating? To the point that you’re so upset with everything around you that all you find yourself wanting to do is scream?

Take a step back and ask yourself why. Why are you irritated? What is triggering this? Personally, I find that a lot of the time when my irritability is at an all-time high, it tends to be because I am sleep deprived, hungry, or I feel burned out and overworked.

A lot of times, it can also be your surroundings. If your surroundings are making you feel a certain way, maybe it’s also time to take a step back and take a break because at the end of the day your happiness needs to come first. While the way people treat you can affect how you feel, you ultimately have complete control over your emotions and how you react.

Constantly having to justify yourself to a person or surrounding yourself with a person that makes you feel diminished are perhaps not ones you should be hanging around. Instead, look for people who are able to appreciate your limitations and respect your past and your boundaries. Above all, look for people who build you up. These people take time to find, so you may be looking for a while, but trust me, they are out there.

Just like anything else in life, you don’t just buy the first thing you see. Friends are the same way. Shop around and find people who you truly feel that you can trust and wish to be around. Friends can also have different boundaries, so you can have people you go out with, people you study with, as well as people you trust sharing personal issues with.   

You are in control of who and what you wish to surround yourself with – always remember that. As a result, if those things are irritating you, evaluate how much of your individual happiness you are willing to sacrifice. If you find yourself recognizing that it’s not worth it, it’s time to walk away. This may be hard at first, but at the end of the day it makes everything so much more worth it because you’ll actually be able to enjoy yourself and decrease your irritability levels.

Find things that build you up and contribute positivity to not just yourself, but others around you. Maybe it’s watching a movie, volunteering, or even taking a nap. Do things that are overall going to impact you positively. What makes you happy?

However, be mindful that assuming that everything happening around you is only happening to you, which is dangerous.

This is because, in short, It’s not. It’s fairly easy to just focus on yourself. It’s easy to have others’ feelings slip your mind. This is dangerous because it prohibits you from being able to empathize, as well as be there for others. I myself am guilty of this and I personally feel this is by far one of the easiest things to do.

Remember to love yourself and be mindful of others around you. Everyone is fighting some sort of daily battle – you just may not know it. 

Photo 1 I Photo 2 I Photo 3 I Photo 4 I Photo 5 I Photo 6 I Photo 7 I Photo 8 I   

Siena Pieruccini is currently a senior at UIUC, she is a currently double majoring in Political Science and Communication. When she isn't back home in Chicago downing coffee or binge-watching Vice she can be found editing her own Youtube videos and planning her next exotic excursion. Siena is passionate about perusing a career in politics as well as being the ultimate #girlboss and advocating for change. Follow her on Instagram @sienapie or Youtube @sienapievlogs.
Gloriann Lance

Illinois '19

Hi! My name is Gloriann Lance and I am a senior at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign. I am one of the two Campus Correspondents for the 2018-2019 school year and I have been on Her Campus for 3 years.