This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

No matter what mood you’re in, watching a movie or listening to some music is never a bad idea. Movies and music can make you laugh, make you cry, or just provide a temporary getaway. However you’re feeling, find the perfect album and movie combination to match!

(Bonus: All of these movies are on Netflix!)

If you’re feeling… down:

Asian woman looking at reflection
Photo by Jessica Ticozzelli from Pexels

We all have those days. Either you want something that will make you feel better, or you want something that will make you even deeper in your feelings. I’ve got you covered either way. 

Album: For when you want to just wrap yourself up in your blanket and stare at the ceiling, you can’t get much better than Blonde by Frank Ocean, a deeply emotional and heartfelt album. 

Movie: To top it off, a viewing of Moonlight, a story of love and the tragedy of growing up, will finish the emotional wreckage that Blonde began.

Album: If you’re looking more for something that will lift your spirits, Golden Hour by Kacey Musgraves is a great mix of chill and upbeat, guaranteed to make you smile without being overbearingly happy.

Movie: Lady Bird is a cathartic watch, putting you through all the emotions but resolving them in the end so that you feel content and even hopeful.

If you’re feeling… romantic:

man and woman laying down
Photo by Julian Myles from Unsplash

Whether you’re in love, want to be, or want to see others in love, these will hit you right in the heart. 

Album: Let’s Get It On by Marvin Gaye is the quintessential love album. The smooth R&B tracks will give you butterflies in your stomach in the best way.

Movie: An underrated gem, About Time is emotional, sweet and funny, everything a good romantic comedy should be. 

If you’re feeling… relaxed:

girl in sun in g rass ripped jeans
Kristen Bryant / Her Campus

Sometimes you’re not really in the mood for anything extreme — nothing to bring you up or drag you down. All you want to do is sit and relax and feel content.

Album: Young the Giant’s self-titled album, with it’s chill guitar and strong vocals, is the perfect music to sit and chill while you listen. 

Movie: Crazy, Stupid, Love is a perfect blend of emotion and comedy, with nothing too heavy, so you can sit back and enjoy. 

If you’re feeling… nostalgic:

Woman dancing
Photo by Juan Camllo Navia from Unsplash

In the mood for some throwbacks? Movies and music are the perfect way to relive some of that childhood simplicity or experience a time that you may not have lived through (but enjoy pretending that you did). 

Album: Blast No Strings Attached by *NSYNC and dance around your room to the perfect nostalgic boyband vibes. 

TV Show: These aren’t movies, but there’s nothing better than iCarly or Victorious to bring you back some of that pure childhood entertainment.  

If you’re feeling… happy:

woman with her eyes closed smiling at the camera
Photo by nappy from Pexels

Finally, if you’re feeling simply happy and don’t want anything bringing you down.

Album: Bloom by Troye Sivan is bright and upbeat, the perfect album for singing along at the top of your lungs.

Movie: Superbad is guaranteed to make you laugh the whole way through, and it even includes some surprisingly sweet moments.  

Gina Jagminas

Illinois '24

Hi! I'm Gina, and I'm a freshman at UIUC. I'm undeclared currently, but looking to go into History or Economics. You can find me hanging out with friends, trying new foods, or watching movies with any free time I have.
The official page for the University of Illinois Her Campus chapter.