Opening Doors for Women Engineers of Tomorrow: Savannah Goodman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

I had the chance to sit down with Savannah Goodman, a woman who truly demonstrates passion towards her major, engineering. Savannah landed a remarkable internship this past summer and received one of the highest honors in the College of Engineering, the Knight of St. Patrick award. Not only was Savannah fascinating to speak to about her progress and goals but also extremely personable, cracking jokes throughout the whole interview. Take a minute and get to know Savannah Goodman, a girl who knows what she wants and is not afraid to go after it!  

HC: When did you realize that you were interested in engineering, and was it something you wanted to pursue/ did anyone inspire you to pursue this field?

Savannah Goodman: I had always thought that I wanted to be a lawyer. However, in high school I got involved in a club called Green School Initiative. In addition, two of my friends were taking an engineering class their sophomore year of high school.  After hearing things they were learning about, I decided I wanted to take an engineering class my senior year. I continued to stay involved in the Green School Initiative, which helped me realize I was interested in green engineering. The College of Engineering at the University of Illinois has created 3 new concentrations that deal with sustainability, which has worked out perfectly for me. Being involved with so many green projects helped me to realize I wanted to do something involving energy as well.

HC: Can you describe the activities that you have been involved in at the University of Illinois?

SG: The thing I have been most involved in is Society of Women Engineers (SWE). I started as a freshman and was involved with a group called Team Tech. The group teamed up with a company and worked on a project all year. I became team director my sophomore year and we ended up coming in first place for our project. After that, I decided to run for president. My main goals for my presidency included increasing member satisfaction, increasing diversity and increasing overall membership. While president, we won five national awards and three regional awards. SWE membership also increased by 60% that year. This year, I am a regional position, which is a great way to help improve intercollegiate communication. I want to keep helping people grow. SWE was my backbone through college and I want to always stay involved in it.

HC: It sounds like a lot of your projects are energy based:

SG: I want work with sustainable energy. We will always need energy; we thrive off it. I am currently a LEED Green Associate basically teaching a mini-class about green buildings. My goal is to become LEAD Associate Professional. They are the ones that facilitate the building process to make sure it is as quick as possible or as green as possible.

HC: You clearly are so passionate about what you study, how do you balance your studies with all other aspects of your life?

SG: I am in a sorority, too, so I definitely have to pick and choose certain things. It is sort of one of those things were I have to make a mental priority list in my head. It is so important to use resources that are given to you at the University. Google calendar and Google docs are my life.

HC: Being so successful at a young age, I am sure you have learned so many things. What would you say is the largest accomplishment you have achieved thus far?

SG: A lot of my successes revolve around College of Engineering. The Knight of St. Patrick award was a culmination of everything I have accomplished. Excellence in character is one criterion that I am so passionate about. I don’t want to graduate because I am so passionate about SWE and these organizations. When I graduate and become a real person, I am going to be like, where are all my extra curriculars?! I definitely plan on staying involved with SWE after I graduate.”

HC: What is your ultimate goal or dream job?

SG: Next year, I am hoping to go to Stanford to obtain a Renewable Energy Master’s degree. This curriculum includes civil and electrical engineering classes. Down the road I hope to start my own company where we produce communities that are all green energy based. I had an epiphany about it at work this summer. Ideally, it would be a sustainability-consulting firm where we take normal communities and turn them into green communities. I would want them to be LEED certified, as well as be on a micro grid, a separate mini grid that the utility would operate and would be connected to a reusable energy source.

HC: What advice would you offer other students?

SG: Don’t bite off more than you can chew. You will feel like you haven’t contributed to every organization you are apart of. Pick and choose what you want to be involved in.