This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

When I scroll through my social media feed everyday, I often come across quotes. Whether it’s a caption on Instagram or a meme on Twitter, quotes are everywhere. From one college student to another, here are nine quotes I love that can help you through the rough days:

1. “However difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at” – Stephen Hawking

This quote can inspire a student to work to the best of their ability. Even when you may begin to lose faith, remind yourself that there will be something you love and excel in.

2. “Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts.” – Winston Churchill

In college, there will be many times in which you fail. It is inevitable, but your perseverance will determine whether or not you can overcome the setback and become successful.

3. “Don’t be afraid to give up the good to go for the great.” – John D. Rockefeller

When exploring the various joys of college, it is beneficial to work hard and pursue new opportunities outside of your comfort zone. Set new goals and try to challenge yourself.

4. “What is life without a little risk?” – J.K. Rowling

Taking risks may be stressful, but life can also be boring without them. This quote is great motivation to go ahead and try something new!

5. “I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” – Maya Angelou

No matter how successful you are, people will always remember how you treat them. It is important to keep this in mind when working with others, as your actions continue to matter after graduation.

6. “Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.” – Martin Luther King Jr.

Although you are at college to receive a degree, try not to lose your values and beliefs along the way. Stick up for what you believe in, but more importantly, do what you believe is right.

7. “It’s not the years in your life that count. It’s the life in your years.” – Abraham Lincoln

College can be stressful, difficult, and overwhelming. However, it can also be the best time of your life. While academic success is important, you are allowed to leave the library every now and then. Try to make the most of your experiences.

8. “Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value.” – Albert Einstein

Building character is a natural process in college. Everyday, you will grow as a person in some form. Regardless of your career path, the college experience will hopefully help guide you into adulthood and teach lifelong lessons.

9. “When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it.” – Henry Ford

In the end, you will experience many emotions in college. It is the drive, willpower and self-determination that will help you move forward. Never give up hope!

Photo 1 | Photo 2 | Photo 3 | Photo 4

Yasmeen Najjar

Illinois '21

"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams." -Eleanor Roosevelt
The official page for the University of Illinois Her Campus chapter.