This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

If you follow any major fashion company, designer, or model than you know what last week was, New York Fashion week. Top designers from all over came to show off their Spring/Summer 2020 collection to fashion critics and fans. This year there seemed to be a lot of noise and attention on a couple specific designers. They include Rhianna’s Savage x Fenty, Tom Ford’s Tom Ford, Michael Kors’s Michael Kors. Each brought a different look and feeling to one of fashion’s most important weeks. This year’s New York Fashion week was a huge success and brought new inspiration to many. 

1. Savage x Fenty

Not only did Rhianna have the best fashion runways people have seen in a while, but she hired Amazon Prime Movies to create a documentary showing the making and ending of the fashion show. Savage x Fenty fashion show had everything from a beautiful structural background, diverse group of models, and live performances by well-known artists. It was a positive difference that Rhianna wanted all the models to feel sexy in her line of lingerie and making the audience realize sexy doesn’t mean just a size zero model. 

2. Tom Ford

Tom Ford always brings a clean and sophisticated style to every runway season. Models like Kaia Gerber and Gigi Hadid brought Ford’s clothing to life in a beautiful way. He expressed that this season he wanted the collection to be about simplicity, while still including vibrant colors and fabrics. The clothes were unbelievable, but the atmosphere emphasized the exquisite clothing pieces. Miley Cyrus, Ansel Elgort, and Russell Westbrook were front row appreciating Tom Ford’s elegant collection.

3. Michael Kors

Duggal Greenhouse was the perfect place for Michael Kors’s to debut his Spring/Summer 2020 pieces. His inspiration for his collection was the 1940’s women who helped build up America by creating silhouette tops with rolled up sleeves. In addition to the exquisite venue, Kors had the Young People’s Chorus of New York City perform the music for his runway show. The pieces were a modern take on older fashioned clothes that were beautiful to watch being displayed on the runway. Although his clothes spoke for themselves, the ambience made his fashion show even more spectacular.

Even though New York Fashion week has ended, Milano Fashion week is still continuing throughout this week. Some designers, such as Versace and Moschino, have already debuted their amazing clothing line including Jennifer Lopez re-wearing the iconic 2000’s jungle print runway dress. Overall, Spring/Summer 2020 New York Fashion week introduced new designs and meanings behind those deigns that really made each collection memorable. Stay tuned for the next fashion week! 

Photo 1  | Photo 2  | Photo 3

Hi! My name is Isabelle Brookover and I am a student at the University of Illinois. I love to write, especially topics about fashion, travel, food and beauty. I enjoy being updated about what the new 'it' products, what events are occuring around the world, and everything in between.
The official page for the University of Illinois Her Campus chapter.