This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Coming into college as a freshman from a small town and having never been out of the country before, I was very culturally inexperienced. I had always yearned to travel and explore new countries and lifestyles, but I didn’t know if I would be able to survive in a foreign country for an entire semester. One day in class, I saw a lecture slide advertising a two-week study abroad program in Greece, and I immediately knew that I wanted to be a part of it. Fast forward to the end of May, and I was stepping onto a 12-hour flight to Thessaloniki, Greece, and I’m so glad that I did.

My group consisted of twenty girls, including myself, and we all got incredibly close throughout the trip. We were able to share experiences including scenic beach days, wine tasting, delicious meals at authentic restaurants, yachting on the Mediterranean, hiking Mt. Olympus, and so much more. It was the best experience of my life, and I even got college credit in the process. However, regardless of the many amazing activities that we were able to partake in, my favorite part of Greece was the culture and the character of the people.

The biggest difference I recognized between Greek and American culture is the emphasis on close relationships over materialism. At each restaurant that we went to, the staff wanted to make sure that we had the best experience without expecting anything in return. Tipping after meals isn’t practiced there, which was very surprising to me. Each meal was served family-style, and it’s normal for groups to spend upwards of 2 hours eating because the experience should be focused on enjoying the presence of each other instead of the food itself. I also noticed that name brand clothing is not worn as much as it is in America. People instead wear what they’re comfortable and happy in, which I found very refreshing. These are just a few examples to give some insight into the character of northern Greek culture, and there’s much more where that came from.

Studying abroad allowed me to see the world from a different perspective, and I’m forever thankful that I got to participate in this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. This trip was so amazing that it has inspired me to travel more and experience different cultures, and I plan on studying abroad for a semester next year. For anyone that isn’t sure what they want to do or if you’re just craving a new experience, I guarantee that studying abroad will alter your mindset for the better and provide you with amazing memories and lifelong friends. Even if you’re hesitant, take a chance on studying abroad and you can find your own “Greece.”

Photo 1  | Photo 2  | Photo 3

Corinne is currently a sophomore majoring in Advertising in the College of Media at the University of Illinois.
The official page for the University of Illinois Her Campus chapter.