Wellness

My Favorite Self-Care Tips to Help Make Midterms Less Stressful

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

With midterm season in full swing, I know we’re all feeling the stress that comes along with it. I am here to share with you my favorite self-care tips to help alleviate some of those negative feelings. 

ThinkPositive 1350x650 1

Painting your nails is a great way to take a breather and sit and do something for yourself for a little while. Pick out your favorite color or treat yourself to a new polish and you can ace your exams with perfectly painted nails. 

Another great self-care tip is finding new skincare and hair care products. Trying out new moisturizers or face washes is a small way to add some excitement to your daily routine. I love to try out new shampoos and conditioners or hair masks to add an extra layer of love to my hair. 

One of my favorite ways to destress during exam time is to pick out a good book and read for a while. It gives you the opportunity to block out reality for a little and engross yourself in a story. I recommend some classic 2000s Young Adult novels to really get the nostalgia flowing.

hc pic 1

Speaking of escaping from reality for a while, binging a new TV show or having a movie night with friends is always a great way to de-stress. I am currently watching The Handmaid’s Tale, and let me tell you, it is AMAZING. Another great binge-worthy show is the ever classic Grey’s Anatomy, Friends, and The Office. Another thing I’ve been loving recently is watching cartoons I liked as a kid. It’s the best way to turn off my brain and just chill for a while.

Another great destresser is yoga. There are hundreds of videos on YouTube of various levels of flexibility and so many different styles. Get outside when the weather is nice and stretch it out! Sitting at your desk for too long isn’t good for any of your muscles. Get a group of friends together for a group yoga session!

Now that we’re finally starting to get some warm weather, going outside for a walk is another great way to get some fresh air and stretch your legs.

walking

Pick your favorite playlist and take a walk through our lovely Urbana-Champaign neighborhoods.

Something that always makes me feel better is coloring. Throw it back to the middle school days and print out some fun spring coloring sheets and put on music or a tv show and just color for a few hours. It never fails to put me in a good mood. I love writing little notes to go with my pictures and giving them to my friends to brighten up their days as well.

Take care of yourselves and good luck with your midterms! I know we are all capable of doing amazing! :)

Lily Knetl

Illinois '24

Hi! My name is Lily and I am a sophomore at UIUC studying HDFS with a minor in English. I absolutely love reading and writing in my free time as well as movie nights with friends. In the future, I hope to go to law school to pursue family law :)