MUSIC: Pygmalion Review – The Head and the Heart

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

When I heard that The Head and the Heart were headlining their own show for Pygmalion Music Festival on September 26th, there wasn’t a hesitation my mind against the idea of spending the student discounted price of $10 to watch magic happening on stage. Happiness and pure bliss are the only words I can use to describe how I feel when I listen to The Head and the Heart. The combination of acoustic guitar and the heavenly voices alone is enough to make anyone swoon. If you have no idea who this band is, I highly recommend you Youtube them right now, and thank me later.

As I walked into the Krannert Center for Performing Arts, I couldn’t help but allow my jaw to drop as I saw around 400 people sitting watching their opening song, “Daughter.”  Did I really have to sit through this concert?  I watched the lead singer’s unique voice entrance the patrons into a synchronized sitting, swaying motion as I took my seat and eagerly waited for the excitement to come.

When the blue lights shined onto the crowd and the band stepped on stage, the energy changed in the room. The sitting swayers stood up and danced to the music. Some were dancing, some clapping and other mouthing the words to the high-energy folk/rock band. The dynamic between the musicians molded perfectly with each other to create a synergistic effect as their passion for the music was shown by their stage presence.

The lead singer resembled a struggling artist – a Johnny Depp type, if you will. The keyboardist and the bassist both looked like they stepped off of the same pseudo-hipster boat, beards and all. The backup guitar player was just as cool with a solid denim-on-denim outfit and the voice of an angel. Next is the drummer, who is reminiscent of Animal from The Muppets, in the best way possible. The band is concluded with the gorgeous female violin player who, when she sings, can bring goose bumps and probably tears to anyone’s eyes. Together they form the most entertaining band to watch onstage because basically, you just want to be friends with all of them.

The Head and the Heart is one of the most versatile bands I have ever listened to. I listen to it when I’m sobbing, when I’m happy, on a sunny day or a rainy day. I, however, was not expecting what I heard that night. Their personalities and sounds became three-dimensional; their energy and passion for music shone above their recorded music. After their performance and encore, the lead singer and backup guitarist separately did an acoustic set and shared intimate words with the audience.  He said they rarely do acoustic sets, only when the vibes are right.

The Head and the Heart achieved great vibes and good times. I wouldn’t be surprised, nay they should be, if they become as big as Mumford and Sons one day. Although I was already a fan, I have been promoted to lifetime fan – and (hopefully) one day, a groupie.