samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Multitasking Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Are you often distracted by technology? Are avenues like texting, Facebook and Snapchat inhibiting your chances of success after college?

Having the potential for distraction at the touch of your finger tips has changed the nature of the classroom.  Technological temptations lead students to multi task. Trying to attend to two tasks as once decreases overall academic performance as well as overall the absorption of information.

A study was conducted to measure the impact of multi-tasking with digital technologies. In one study, digitally-based multi-tasking activities which included texting using a cell-phone, emailing, Facebook, were compared to 3 different control groups including paper and pencil note-taking, word-processing note taking and a natural use of technology condition over the course of 3 lectures. Evidence indicated that students engaging in digitally based multi tasking activities preformed more poorly than students in the control group.

Carol Mauck, a professor at the University of Illinois School of Social Work said, “I can tell when students are distracted in the classroom. Simply having a cell phone on their lap is an excuse not to pay attention and distracts them from absorbing the information they need.”

Ultimately, no matter how well you think you are at multi tasking, attempting to attend lecture while simultaneously engaging in digital technologies can have a negative impact on learning.

So what’s the solution? Should technology be banned from the classroom, or should teachers adjust their methods?

Advancements in technology are revolutionizing the educational process. Although technology assisted education can help academic performance, there is a common belief among teachers that students have a shortened attention span due to the temptation to multi task and disengage.

In two surveys, it was found that digital technology lessens a student’s attention span as well as decreases their ability to face adversity successfully. The first survey was conducted by the Pew Internet Project, a center that focuses on technology related research. The other is from Common Sense Media, an organization that focuses on advising parents on their children’s media use.

The findings are based off of the subjective viewpoints of teachers and should not be looked at as absolute proof. However, the study is still significant because teachers have a unique window into their students lives.

Some teachers who were not involved in the surveys provided feedback through interviews. Many said that they felt that they have to work harder than ever before to hold student’s attention.

Kristen Purcell, associate director at Pew put a different perspective on the findings. She places the blame on the educational system. Technology is not going away. Rather than be complacent, the educational system must adjust to better accommodate their students.

“What we’re labeling as ‘distraction,’ some see as a failure of adults to see how these kids process information.” Labeling technology as a ‘distraction’ is a judgmental dig on the younger generations.

As college students, the majority of our learning takes place outside the classroom on our own time. With potential for distraction at a high, many students report using social media while completing their studies. Jim Steyer, the chief executive of Common Sense Media, said that “Boy is this a clarion call for a healthy and balanced media diet.”

With the advancement of technology on an upward trend, it is important to consider our usage both inside and outside the classroom.

The official page for the University of Illinois Her Campus chapter.