Meet Campus Celebrity: Madi Heimerdinger

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Getting your dream job is something that every college student longs for. Madi Heimerdiger, sophomore from Colorado studying Mechanical Engineering at UIUC, is a student who has made her dream job of working at NASA a reality. Heimerdiger is an inspiration because of her hard work and wide range of interests. She teaches us that we should pursue our dreams and persevere. 

HC: How did you find this opportunity to work for NASA?

I went to the engineering career fair at the beginning of the fall semester and talked to a representative. I have wanted to work for NASA since I was a child, but this was the first time I was able to talk to someone face-to-face.

HC: Why were you interested in NASA?

My father has been a special government employee for NASA since 1995, so I grew up hearing about all of the things going on with the shuttle and space station.  My father used to take me outside at our house in Colorado at night to look at all of the stars through a telescope. Since then, working for NASA has been the dream.

HC: What will your job entail?

My job at Johnson Space Center is to assist the International Space Station’s Mission Evaluation Room (MER) Managers in Mission Control where the International Space Station Program provides engineering support to the flight control team.

HC: When will you start work and where are the offices?

I started on January 21 and I am working at Lyndon B. Johnson Space Center in Houston, Texas.

HC: Did you face any challenges with the interview process?

I definitely did. I actually got interviewed five times for three different positions. Each time I interviewed, I didn’t hear anything back for weeks at a time. I interviewed in early September and got offered a position the day before my first final.

HC: What are your future plans and do they involve NASA?

I really hope to make a career out of this opportunity. The end goal is to actually get a chance to go to space, even if that is unrealistic. If I can’t become an astronaut, I would love to work in Mission Control and assist the astronauts with anything they need.

HC: How can other Illinois students find this opportunity?

My biggest tip would be to be proactive. Opportunities like this aren’t just handed to you; you have to go find them. For me, I got denied two times by NASA, but I kept coming back and eventually, they hired me. It is all about persistence and how much you actually want it.

HC: What did you do at U of I that prepared you for your new position?

I definitely made the most out of my time at U of I. Joining clubs and extracurricular activities set me apart from other people that were applying as well. Getting good grades is definitely important, but I’ve learned that getting a 3.7 and doing clubs is often more valuable than getting a 4.0 and not being involved in anything outside of academics.  When I got to U of I, I was told that I should join three clubs; one academic, one athletic and one social. Honestly, I think this is probably the best advice and the thing that most prepared me for this experience.

Lightning round

Favorite movie: Anchorman 2

Favorite restaurant on campus: Chipotle, by far

Favorite book: Ender’s Game

Favorite celebrity: Russell Brand