Meet Campus Celebrity: Antonio Liga

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

One of 10 student managers for the Illinois football team, senior Antonio Liga has spent his past four falls in Champaign-Urbana balancing his passion for football and the academics prepping him for a future in the sports communications field. A communication major and a member of the fraternity Phi Gamma Delta, Liga has been kept busy, but his experiences have provided countless memories that have shaped who he has become. Admitting his desire to not take the spotlight away from the other nine student managers, Liga is a team player, proving that Illinois is in it for all involved.

HC: How did you get involved with football? Was it grammar school/ high school?

AL: I have always loved football. I played it growing up. However, my best moments of my childhood were going to Illinois football games with my dad. We made the trip down (from Des Plaines, lll) to Champaign every Saturday, and my dad is really the reason I fell in love with Illini football.

HC: What made you decide to be team manager for the Illinois football team, and how did you get the position?

AL: Once I was admitted to the University of Illinois, I knew I wanted to work for the football team. I sent an email to Trent Chesnut who is the Head Equipment Manager for the football team, and he made me aware of the student manager position.

HC: How has the experience been both a reward and a challenge?

AL: I love being able to give back to the university that I have always loved. I would say everything I have been able to do up to this point as a student manager has been a reward. I love being part of the Illini football family.

HC: What’s been your proudest moment as team manager?

AL: My proudest moment thus far was having my mom come down for an Illini football game. Growing up, Illini games were always something I only did with my dad. However, my mom knew how much I loved going to the games. To be able to have her come down for a game and have her experience a game day at Memorial Stadium was something pretty special.

HC: What’s been your favorite memory as team manager?      

AL: I am one of 10 student managers for the football team, and just being able to hang around those guys every day throughout the season is something I really enjoy — especially the road trips.

HC: What’s a typical day, both a practice and game day, like for you as a student manager? What tasks does it entail for you?

AL: My typical day with the team is getting a script of everything the team is going to need for practice and set that up. We have to make sure everything is where it needs to be at the right time. When it is game day and we have to travel, we pack all of the equipment up for the players and put it in the truck. We then unload the truck and set everything up in our locker room. We travel everywhere the team does.

HC: How difficult is it balance school, your fraternity and other activities during the season?

AL: It gets a bit tricky to balance everything. Obviously school is my number one priority and football is my job on campus, but any free time that I have I spend with my fraternity. 

HC: With multiple losing seasons, the football team hasn’t been the most liked program at Illinois over the past few years. What is it like to go work with these athletes who are criticized on their performance every day, and how do you as a student manager help overcome the critics?

AL: The Illini football team is on the right path. Being a student manager for this team allows me the opportunity to see just how hard they work on a daily basis. The future is bright for Illini football, and I am just fortunate to be here for it.

College! Can anything be more exciting! Born and raised on the southside of Chicago, I went to high school in the city so coming to the middle of the cornfields is a big change, but one I am very excited for. When I’m not busy stressing about school, I enjoy reading, having crazy adventures with friends, and just living to the fullest. (Insert one of my numerous favorite Pintrest quotes here) Fresh out of high school, I’m ready to report on all things collegiate and take you along my wild and sure to be bumpy road that is freshman year!