This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Dear future self –

This isn’t meant to stress you out. It’s not even an attempt to guilt trip you. I don’t mind if you haven’t been working out consecutively or reading all of those books you’ve been meaning to. Life is unpredictable and insane. We can’t always intricately plan how we want certain stages of it to pan out.

(But maybe one book wouldn’t be so bad.)

I’m only writing to remind you of the person you already are. The person you have committed yourself to continue growing into.

Person in a bathtub with lemons and herbs reading
Photo by Taryn Elliot from Pexels

You deserve to always put yourself first with intention. To choose yourself. To invest in yourself. I know you have encountered people in your life that have made you believe this commitment to yourself is selfish. But, it isn’t! You are finally starting to believe in what you deserve. If those boundaries scare certain people, let them. They will only inhibit your growth.

With that being said, it’s okay if you aren’t where you’ve dreamed you would be in 5 or 10 years. You are still blooming into this miraculous individual you are destined to become and you will be for the entirety of your life. That’s the beauty behind it.

Continue to be present. Breathe. Reflect. Appreciate every win in your life, no matter how miniscule it may seem to you. Take as many moments as you can to simply be and acknowledge that you are here.

You have surpassed experiences that you believed you could never overcome and bloomed in so many incredible ways. Celebrate that.

Red carnations with cut stems on white background
Photo by Karolina Grabowaska from Pexels

Continue to embrace this process of uncertainty and feeling lost. There isn’t a single person that has it figured out. At the end of the day, you will still be riddled with flaws and you will still make more mistakes than you can recount.

But, remember that you are free. You are free to make all of these mistakes and still have the opportunity to grow and be. You are not the person you were a year ago or even a month ago. You will never be stuck; let this version of yourself that you are becoming, flawed and all, inspire you.

Most importantly, never forget that your perception of your own life is influenced by the mindset you follow. Continue surrounding yourself with people that help you view the world through rose-colored lens. You have one life that should be filled with reminders that you are surrounded by love. You deserve nothing less.

Stars in the night sky
Photo by Sven Scheuermeier on Unsplash

Though there are a million things left unsaid, I’m going to leave you with a beautiful quote.

“Everyone who terrifies you is 65% water. And everyone you love is made of stardust. . . But nothing is infinite, not even loss. You are made of the sea and the stars, and one day you are going to find yourself again.” – Finn Butler.

Love,

Past You.

Iga Stepaniak

Illinois '23

Hi! I'm currently a senior at the University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign studying Psychology and Communication. I am the VP of Editorial for the Her Campus Illinois Chapter. In my free time, I love to write, travel, and read.
The official page for the University of Illinois Her Campus chapter.