Wellness

How to Love Yourself on Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

With Valentine’s Day right around the corner, many people are filled with rushes of love, have plans of romantic evenings, or talk of “galentine’s” get togethers. However, Valentine’s Day can also be difficult. Pressure to make plans, yearning to have someone to share the day with, or simply unrealistic expectations received from the media can create worry leading up to the day. Regardless of how you plan to spend Valentine’s, I urge you to take time to do something for yourself. Here are a few ideas to get you started.

Have a Self-Care Day

Self-care is something that, often, many people do not prioritize in the fast-paced nature of everyday life. What better day to carve out some self-care time than a day dedicated to love? Head to your nearest drug store, pick up some face masks, drink some water, paint your nails, turn on your comfort movie, eat your favorite snack, and do whatever else you consider self-care.

Do Some Yoga

Yoga can be extremely relaxing and beneficial, especially if you are feeling stressed. There are countless tutorials available for yoga of all kinds. If you are new to yoga, try a short video and see how it makes you feel. If you’re more advanced, try something you haven’t before. You will probably come out feeling better than you did before. If yoga’s not for you, try meditation or breathing techniques. It’s worth a try, and it has the potential to significantly impact you.

Make Yourself a Fun Valentine’s Snack or Drink

Chocolate covered strawberries, heart-shaped cookies, a pink drink, pink bread, you name it! Find a fun, easy (or difficult, if you’re ambitious) recipe and try it out. This is a great activity to do with friends, with family, with a partner, or by yourself. Turn on a happy playlist (I recommend Spotify’s “Happy Baking Music” playlist) and bake the day away.

Do Something You Love

Often, it can be easy to push your passions to the side in the name of everything else going on. This Valentine’s Day, try to give yourself time to do that thing you never have time for. Write the novel, learn the dance, read the book, paint, go on a walk, play your instrument, or anything else you love. Spending time doing what you’re passionate about can be so simple yet so fulfilling.

Have a “Do Nothing” Day

Sometimes with days like Valentine’s, there is a lot of pressure to have extravagant plans. However, it can be so rejuvenating to simply do nothing. Sit in your bed, binge watch your favorite show, or take a nap. Treat Valentine’s like the holiday it is and let yourself relax.

Regardless of what you do this Valentine’s Day, try to squeeze in something for yourself. After all, on a day dedicated to love, what’s more important than self-love.

Ania Sacks

Illinois '26

Hi! I'm Ania Sacks and I'm a freshman at the University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign studying English.