This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Have you ever felt overwhelmed by the idea of dating someone new? Do the expectations of a relationship feel like too much to take on? You are not alone. Dating yourself is a fantastic way to practice self-love and self-care and can significantly increase your self-esteem and confidence. So, whether you are looking to take a break from dating life or want to get to know yourself better, dating yourself will provide you with the necessary tools to feel more connected with your soul.

When you date yourself, you explore and discover yourself in ways you may not have before, revealing your self-esteem, unique sense of humor, personal quirks and more. You get to find out what you like, what you’re good at and what you enjoy doing. This self-discovery process is fundamental and can help you understand yourself better, build self-confidence and self-esteem, and find personal boundaries and relationships.

Keep an open mind when exploring dating yourself. Be open to experiences you may have never thought about before and be open to learning something new in the process. 

Ten solo date ideas:

1. Go for a hike: There’s something about hiking that makes you feel connected to the earth and your body. By breathing in the fresh air, taking in the beautiful scenery and touching the ground, you’ll be reminded of where you are and who you are while also boosting your confidence.
  2. Visit a museum: A museum can be a great place to focus your energy while learning something new. 
  3. Take a cooking class: Cooking classes are a fun and easy way to get creative and reconnect with yourself.
  4. Spa night at home: Spa nights at home can be a way to boost your confidence and let go of anxiety.
  5. Have a movie marathon: By watching a series of movies that inspire you or help you ease into an emotion, you can get in touch with your feelings and find inspiration for your next creative project or writing assignment.
  6. Start a bullet journal: Bullet journals are a great way to boost creativity and eliminate anxiety. Using a blank journal with ruled pages will help you plan your daily and weekly tasks. You can unplug and brainstorm new ideas and find clarity.
  7. Plant a garden: Gardening is a great way to get real-life exercise while also getting in touch with your emotions.
  8. Take a yoga or meditation class: Yoga and meditation are great ways to boost your creativity, relieve anxiety, and get some exercise.
  9. Take a virtual tour of a place you’ve always wanted to visit: Due to COVID-19, traveling has become much more difficult. A virtual tour can be a great way to explore a new place.
  10. Take yourself out for a nice dinner: Put on your favorite clothes and treat yourself to a nice dinner. 
Fiza Dahra

Illinois '25

Hi! I am a sophomore majoring in journalism at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign.