How to Survive Valentine’s Day In College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

It’s the middle of cold and icy February, and that can only mean one holiday is around the corner. No, it’s not a snow day – It’s Valentine’s Day: that exciting day of the year that single girls love to hate and those who have a special someone are usually disappointed on.

If you haven’t been struck by Cupid’s Arrow or just aren’t quite ready to use that dreaded “L-word” by the 14th, there are still plenty of ways to get through the day with a smile and maybe even some chocolate.

According to CNN, in 2012 36% of women bought flowers on Valentine’s Day. Put a little spring in your step and some envy on your Instagram followers’ faces by secretly sending yourself a beautiful bouquet of flowers.

Avoiding awkward hookups and those “we’ve been talking for a while but we’re not really together but I think we’re exclusive so should I get him a gift?” moments is easier than you might think on Valentine’s Day.

“Instead of worrying about what guy you’ll be spending Valentine’s Day with, just treat it like it’s any other Friday night,” Reigan Massey, senior at UIUC, said. “Make it fun by going to your favorite restaurant or making margaritas.”

The consumer spending on Valentine’s Day is mildly out of control considering that the average person shells out $103.97 of their hard-earned cash just to attempt a shot at romance. Us bar-going, Chipotle-eating college students might not have that much money to spend this year. So, if you are trying to have a fun evening out with your other half, try opting for some fun, cheap alternatives.

“I would much rather spend an evening watching a funny movie and making dinner together than sitting at some boring restaurant,” Kristin Lanxon, senior at UIUC, said.  “That way, there’s no pressure to be too lovey-dovey or anything like that.”

Another way to avoid sticky situations on this day is to make sure you know if your significant other is getting you a gift, and if so, what kind. Does it fall under the chocolate and roses category or more along the lines of a Tiffany’s diamond necklace? There is nothing worse than giving someone a present that does not match the one they just gave you.

Beer, gift cards to almost anywhere on Green Street or his favorite candy are some great, low-budget gift ideas for your guy. Making something like a “booze bouquet” shows you put time and effort into it without having to break the bank.

If all else fails and you’re hard-pressed to find an appropriate gift this Valentine’s Day, you can always give him this card:

You don’t have to dread Valentine’s Day, and you certainly don’t have to hide in your room eating a pint of Ben & Jerry’s while watching Netflix because all of your friends have boyfriends and you’re convinced you’ll be single forever. Although, if that’s what gets you through the day, we won’t judge. 

Picture Sources:

http://sofabulousdesign.blogspot.com/2012/10/birthday-parties-booze-bouq…

Mary Alex is a senior at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. She is studying communication, public relations and theatre. When not writing for Her Campus, Mary Alex loves to run, read and see plays. She also has a weakness for peanut butter, is a huge Cubs fan, and has seen every episode of Gilmore Girls multiple times.