This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.
Sorority women in front of their house
Original photo by Millie Dean

TikTok is a platform that many use to share their experiences, ideas, and perspectives. With Rushtok trending on the platform at this time each year, we often find our “for you” pages filled with all things Greek Life… ranging from joyful dancing videos to the story times of those with nothing good to say. This showcases the positive and negative aspects of Greek Life and gives viewers an idea of what to expect when joining a sorority or fraternity. But in what cases do we find TikTok idealizing or criticizing Greek Life in its content, and how does this affect people’s views about joining a house?

First, let’s look into the positive side of RushTok. There are many uplifting moments being documented that show the liveliness and other fulfilling aspects associated with Greek Life. Sisterhood or brotherhood bonding moments, philanthropic endeavors, adventure, professional growth, and friendships, are all commonly shown as rewarding experiences associated with Greek Life. It goes way beyond the stereotypes often associated with it. These TikToks can inspire viewers and motivate them to consider joining or supporting the chapters they have on their campus. Positive TikToks about sororities and fraternities contribute to a more balanced and optimistic idea of Greek Life, by educating others on what there is to appreciate from the great experiences it offers to its members.

Bid Day 1
Anna Thetard / Her Campus

Unfortunately, some TikTok users have chosen to use the platform to criticize and make fun of these chapters. These criticisms often focus on stereotypes and misconceptions related to Greek Life. While we know that not all content will reflect sorority and fraternity experiences accurately, it is also important to keep in mind that these videos may have been made in an attempt to voice valid concerns and disapproval. These people may have a reason to have posted what they did. It’s also important to remember that everyone has a different experience to share. Negative TikToks are likely to rob both potential members and current members of the chance to see these organizations in a positive way.

Content shared on TikTok can be very influential. Someone could choose to post about the fun activities they took part in as part of their chapter, while another could post about the issues they faced within theirs. Rushtok, in a way, has the potential to “control” our perceptions of these organizations. However, it’s important to take in the content while being mindful that it represents only a fragment of the very large world of Greek Life. By taking in content the right way, we can better appreciate the positive aspects while also making room for improvements. As the internet continues to develop, platforms like TikTok will continue to influence what people think about sororities and fraternities and create buzz about their impact on college campuses.

Fun College Sorority Girls With Flannels
Cassie Howard / Her Campus
Lauren Cravens

Illinois '25