How to Prepare for a Chilly Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

The ultimate challenge that you can encounter on Halloween is figuring out whether or not you’re going to freeze your ass off in your costume. When I was a kid, it wasn’t Halloween unless you had to wear a coat and gloves. It always ruined your outfit, but it was better than attempting to open up a Kit-Kat with numb, red fingers. Now that we’re older, it’s important to find clever ways to keep ourselves warm and still look cute participating in our Halloween activities!

Tights:

Make use of those tights you haven’t worn since… well, forever. Skin tone tights can be your savior. If not, black tights will go with literally everything. Police officer? Locked down. Cat woman? Devil? Easy. Recently, I went into Urban Outfitters and their selection of sparkly and embellished tights was impressive. Even if you don’t intend on seeing the tights at all, you can add them underneath leggings or pants to fit your costume’s theme.

Drinks to make:

You can’t go wrong with apple cider and pumpkin spice themed drinks (and donuts for that matter). Another good drink to warm up with, and festively spruce up, is hot chocolate! Marshmallows unique to the season are fairly popular, and ghosts for Halloween are perfect. If your friends are coming over, before heading out for the night, gather all the mugs you own and throw together this spooky treat!

On the other hand, for those of you looking for a boo-zy drink that will warm your insides, fear not: Candy Corn Jell-O Shots. You just need to make and mold orange and lemon gelatin and pick your poison for the top layer. Whether you like candy corn or not, it truly adds decoration to this treat. This is definitely something worthy of posting on your Instagram story!

Cute and cozy accessories:

If you need an excuse to purchase an accessory such as a hat, scarf, or gloves, now is your time. Even if you intend on traveling to a single event or party, it’s never a bad idea to be prepared in case plans change. Grab a scarf and wear it with your witch costume to conjure up some Hocus Pocus vibes. Turn that cat costume into a cozy costume with a hat with cat ears. If you want to go for a classic 80’s workout costume, leg warmers and a headband are ideal. If you’re truly invested in your costume and keeping warm (and combating germs, too), go as a mime or robber: instant black gloves. You’re welcome.

Costumes that require boots:

Lastly, you can keep your feet warm with boots depending on your costume choice! I’ve considered being a scarecrow for Halloween, and this is the perfect opportunity to wear boots alongside jeans or overalls, a plaid shirt and a floppy hat. Otherwise, boots can also work for being a cowgirl, pirate, superheroes, or any member of the Armed Forces.

Stay in and watch a classic Halloween movie: The end.

Photo 1  Photo 2  Photo 3  Photo 4

Hi there, I'm studying Painting and Graphic Design at the University of Illinois! I'm also an alum of the University of Leeds study abroad program (spring 2019). I'm interested in making illustrations and social media content, reading for fun, and love bike riding. I'm staying a fifth year to complete both of my degrees. I also enjoy taking Advertising, Business, and History classes too.
Gloriann Lance

Illinois '19

Hi! My name is Gloriann Lance and I am a senior at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign. I am one of the two Campus Correspondents for the 2018-2019 school year and I have been on Her Campus for 3 years.