samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Crush Your Midterms

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

With Spring break almost upon us that can mean only one thing: midterms. Every year the school throws midterms at us, despite our already hectic schedules. With everything that you have going on it seems almost impossible to do well on your tests. But, by following some of these tips you’ll be able to crush your midterms- and just in time for break!

Sleep: Sleep. It seems obvious, but with midterms people tend to stay up all night studying and figure they’ll just drink a ton of caffeine before the test. It is so much better to get a few hours of sleep than it is to be exhausted during your midterm. Even if you really need to cram, don’t pull an all-nighter! If you can, take a nap before your midterm too to give yourself an extra boost if you’re lacking in sleep. The better rested you are the better you’ll do on your exam.

Office Hours: A lot of students don’t go to office hours and it’s understandable because it’s so easy to say, “oh I’ll just study on my own and figure it out.” But going to office hours can be extremely helpful! Professors and TA’s give you tips (and maybe even some answers) for the test. It also shows your professor that you are taking an initiative in your education, which makes them more likely to help you out in the curve.

Caffeine: Okay, so you don’t want to completely rely on caffeine, but it is super helpful if you just need a little jolt for some of those 8 A.M. midterms. Be careful! You don’t want to have too much caffeine and be jittery during your test. On the flip side though, you don’t want to have a caffeine crash halfway through. Find a balance and do what works best for you!

Ask You Professor: There are some key questions you should ask all of your professors before every midterm (and test in general) that will be super helpful. The first thing you should ask is the format and the length of the test. If it’s a really long test chances are it will be super in depth. But, if the test is really short then it’s more likely that only key points will be tested. So, your next question then needs to be what the test will cover. Some teachers will be super detailed in letting you know what’s on the test, while others not so much. Office hours come in handy here because professors will usually give you a better idea of what’s on the test than they do in lecture.

Tone Down Distractions: Social media, your phone or even a loud room can all throw off your studying. Know what things are distracting to you and eliminate them the best you can. The better focused you are, the better you’ll do on your midterms!

Photos Taken by Adina Lipschultz

I'm a Journalism major at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign. My passion is writing and I hope to do so for the rest of my life ~