This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Breakfast is by far my most favorite meal of the day and many people say that it’s the most important one too! With school back in session, whether you’re on campus or doing classes remotely, it’s important to create a routine that works for you and possibly incorporate some new things to spice it up. For some, that might be including breakfast into their morning routine. Here are some nutritious and well-balanced breakfast ideas to start your day off right!

1. Oatmeal

Oatmeal is such a great thing to eat for breakfast because it keeps you full for hours and you can literally add anything in to it. My favorite toppings to add in my oatmeal include a chopped up apple, almond butter, cinnamon, sliced almonds and a dash of vanilla Greek yogurt. It’s so delicious, high in protein and fiber and is also the perfect fall breakfast recipe for back to school. If hot oatmeal isn’t your thing, try making overnight oats and leave them in the fridge so when you wake up in the morning, you still get that oatmeal consistency and goodness!

Oatmeal
Christin Urso / Spoon

2. Egg and Cheese Burrito

If you’re craving something more savory in the morning, then an egg and cheese burrito is the breakfast for you! Start off by scrambling your eggs in a pan (I like to use egg whites) and then add your mix-ins. You can add shredded cheese, sausage, peppers, mushrooms, etc. The possibilities are endless when making a breakfast burrito. Once your eggs are done, place them on a tortilla and finally, just wrap it up. It’s as simple as that and you can eat it while walking to class. It’s such a great on-the-go meal!

3. Smoothie

This is another breakfast idea that you can change up every morning if you’d like to depending on what you’re in the mood for. Some mornings, I really want a berry smoothie that’s sweet and creamy while other days I’ll want a refreshing and energizing green smoothie. Smoothies are great because it’s an excellent way to get in your servings of fruit and vegetables for the day and you can also take it along to class with you. A smoothie I’ve been loving lately includes mixed berries, almond milk, cinnamon, spinach and vanilla protein powder. Super simple, yet so satisfying!

fruit smoothie in glass with metal straw
Photo by Element5 Digital from Pexels

4. Avocado Toast

Avocado toast never disappoints whenever I eat it in the morning and it’s also super versatile. You can change up the bread you use and maybe try sourdough, Ezekiel or ciabatta if you’re sick of just plain white bread or multi grain. My personal favorite bread to use for avo toast is definitely sourdough because it adds the most amazing flavor. Sprinkle on some Trader Joe’s Everything but The Bagel seasoning, red pepper flakes and a little bit of olive oil and you’re good to go! If you’re feeling extra hungry and ambitious, add an egg on top for some extra protein. 

avocado toast
Photo by Aigars Peda on Unsplash

5. Protein Waffles/Pancakes

After a long week of classes, this is a great breakfast to save for the weekend. I make my protein waffles/pancakes by adding some oats in a blender to create oat flour, 1 egg, cinnamon, vanilla protein powder and baking powder. For toppings, you can add mixed berries, banana, nuts and honey. If you don’t want protein waffles/pancakes, then making them from a box mix is totally awesome and delicious too! Treat yourself if you’re having this yummy meal on the weekend. 

Peanut Butter And Jelly Pancakes
Shun Matsuhashi / Spoon

Rachel is a junior and the VP of Editorial for The University of Illinois' Her Campus chapter. She is a journalism major on a pre-law track.
The official page for the University of Illinois Her Campus chapter.