Lindsay Thompson-Music Festival Miami Ultra Lights Stage Concert Balloons Music Edm
Lindsay Thompson / Her Campus

Girl Power Headlines Super Bowl Halftime Show

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Over 100 million people tuned in to watch the 2020 Super Bowl between the Kansas City Chiefs and the San Francisco 49ers. Whether your favorite part of the Super Bowl was watching the ads, the halftime show or even the football itself, this year’s halftime show gained quite a bit of attention. Jennifer Lopez and Shakira dominated the stage and wowed us all with much needed girl power. Whether you’re a fan of the two superstars or not, you have to admit that these ladies know how to entertain. 

woman eating popcorn
Photo by JESHOOTS.com from Pexels
Shakira opened the show dazzled in red singing her hit song “She Wolf.” I think we all know that her hips don’t lie- that girl can definatly move! She even included belly dancing in her performance. Shakira sang and danced simultaneously without losing her breath for even a moment, which is an incredible feat that should be considered a workout of some sort. Bad Bunny made an appearance which pleased many fans from across the globe. Shakira left us all in awe, our jaws dropped.

Then Jennifer Lopez came out and rocked our world. She made quite the entrance while singing “Jenny from the Block,”. She’s no stranger to performing. Just like Shakira, JLo danced and sang while never skipping a beat like the true queen she is. The talent is just unreal! Later in her performance, a choir of young girls came out to sing and guess who was leading the choir? None other than Jennifer Lopez’s own daughter, Emme. She not only stole the show, but our hearts. Talent definitely runs in this family! 

Friends Excited
Giphy
Shakira and JLo performed together for the finale. They both broadcasted their Latina roots with Latin influenced music and dance. Between the two of them, childhood nostalgia hit hard. It feels just like yesterday when I was in the car singing along to their hit songs on the radio.

Many loved their performances while others did not. Some did not agree with their outfits or dancing calling it provocative. There were viewers who even criticized their performance because there wasn’t a tribute to Kobe Bryant who tragically died in a helicopter crash a few days earlier on January 26, 2020. Looking past all of the disapproval, these women made history. This is something that cannot be denied as Shakira and Jennifer Lopez are the first Latina women to share the stage at the Super Bowl halftime show. I think this accomplishment should be celebrated because these women sent a message about the importance of culture and diversity, which struck a chord for many. 

Haters Taylor Swift
Giphy
Shakira and JLo stand for strength and girl power. I think it takes a lot of guts to stand on one of the biggest stages and do what they did. They have been at the top of the charts only because they worked extremely hard for it. Women should lift them up instead of tearing them down for little things like their outfits. This world has come a long way in regards to women’s rights and will hopefully continue to improve. Shakira and Jennifer Lopez have proved time and time again that you should be proud of your femininity and sexuality. The fact that they headlined the Super Bowl shows that society is headed in the right direction. The future for women is bright with ladies like Shakira and JLo leading the way and empowering others.

girl power 1
Kristen Bryant / Her Campus

Senior at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign studying advertising and business. Currently serving as the Campus Correspondent for her chapter.
The official page for the University of Illinois Her Campus chapter.