This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Odds are you know someone who’s a senior this year. It’s the school year everyone anticipates and holds to a higher expectation. They’ve worked so hard for the past four years just to receive their diploma in the mail due to COVID-19. Times are very tough for everyone around the globe at the moment, but this year’s graduating class definitely got the short end of the stick. Seniors, we’re thinking of you! Graduation ceremonies and parties are cancelled, but that doesn’t mean you can’t give that senior in your life a gift. They’re going through many emotions trying to deal with this situation, so let them know you’re thinking of them. Here are the perfect gift ideas for graduating seniors affected by COVID-19.

Pink wrapped gift box
Unsplash

1. Personal Video

With shelter in place orders in most states, you probably haven’t seen many people lately, especially that senior in your life. Get your household together and create a heartfelt video to send them. Make it personal! Seniors have been on a rollercoaster of emotion for the past couple of months with their future plans on hold. They went from living on their own at school to being locked down at their parents’ house. It would mean the world to them to know that their friends and family are thinking of them in this difficult time. The video doesn’t have to be long; make it short but sweet! Make sure to say that your heart goes out to them, provide useful advice or even crack a few jokes to lighten the mood. Remind them that they’re strong and that things will get better. A video is a gift that they can watch over and over and keep for a lifetime. After all, it’s the little things that count. Now whip out your phone and start recording!

Nappy

2. Did Someone Say Networking?

Not only will seniors not have a graduation, they might not even get a job. The economy has taken a major hit thanks to COVID-19. Millions of Americans are out of a job and companies aren’t hiring. Of course, landing your first job right out of college is difficult, but now it’s nearly impossible for the class of 2020. This right here is the hardest thing to cope with. The best gift you can give to a senior is contact information. Chances are you know someone who is in the same career field as the senior in your life. Give the senior their contact information as this might help them land a job. If you haven’t learned by now, life’s all about networking! All you need to do is get them in touch and they’ll take it from there. Wouldn’t you feel great knowing that you helped someone secure a job during this pandemic?

a hand holds a pen writing on sheets of paper on a wooden desk. there\'s a coffee cup and a notebook in front of it.
Free-Photos | Pixabay

3. Money, Of Course

Money has and always will be the perfect gift for just about anyone. Obviously, money is tight for many people at the moment. Though if you’re able to, send a check to that senior in your life. They’re probably paying bills, tuition, etc. without having an income. Skip that edible arrangement or jewelry and send the money directly to them as these things are meaningless during this time. Help them out by gifting straight up money rather than buying them random objects that will sit in a box. They will be extremely appreciative and remember this gesture forever. 

Patrick Spongebob Money
Tenor

These might not have been the first things that come to mind when thinking about graduation gifts, but they’re perfect for the class of 2020. You probably won’t graduate during a pandemic, but if you do, you would want others to send you these gifts!

Senior at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign studying advertising and business. Currently serving as the Campus Correspondent for her chapter.
The official page for the University of Illinois Her Campus chapter.