Fun Activities To Do During the Halloween Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

As Halloween is creeping up, there are many activities to participate in to get into the spirit. October is a very busy month for many and it can be difficult to think about Halloween. Especially as people become older there seems to be less of an interest in celebrating the holiday. However, there are a few easy Halloween activity options that anyone can do and enjoy. These include making fun Halloween treats, watching oldie but goodie spooky movies, and of course decorating pumpkins. Each of these activities are fun to do with family or friends and can get everyone into the Halloween season! 

1. Treats

Halloween is the perfect excuse to eat as much candy as you want. Other than the array of different candies, there are great ideas of easy treats to make on websites such as Tasty or on the explore food page on Instagram. From decorating your own caramel apples to creating Halloween-themed brownie bites, there is an unlimited number of treats that can be made and tried that are so simple to make. When you bring family and friends together to create these baked goods, it will not only result in eating sweets, but also forming new memories or even traditions. 

2. Spooky Movies

Remember when Disney Channel had the best Halloween movies and shows playing over the course of the weeks leading up to October 31st? As we get older it can be harder to relax and watch television, but having a movie night with loved ones while eating some Halloween-themed snacks or candy can be so fun! Classic fan favorites from Disney usually include “Halloweentown,” “Hocus Pocus,” and “Twitches.” Television sites such as Hulu and Netflix offer much spookier films that are also entertaining to watch with others. You cannot go wrong with taking a little breather to watch a Halloween movie to get into the spirit of Halloween.

3. Carving Pumpkins

Lastly, decorating pumpkins is the most popular and classic Fall tradition. Anyone of any age can purchase a pumpkin and carve or decorate as they wish. It is much more fun to go to a pumpkin patch where you can participate in picking the best pumpkin and enjoying being in the Halloween environment. Most pumpkin patches also have other fun activities to do such as carnival games, hay rides, and apple picking. Here in Champaign-Urbana, the nearest pumpkin patch is Curtis Apple Orchard & Pumpkin Patch. It is so amusing to visit a pumpkin patch with others because you can share the experience and the excitement of finding the ‘best’ pumpkin. Decorating pumpkins is the perfect activity that will get anyone excited for upcoming holiday. 

It can be difficult as we get older to take the time to celebrate Halloween, but participating in one of these activities can be so entertaining and relaxing. Creating delicious treats, watching spooky movies, and decorating pumpkins can be easy to do and are all reasonably priced. Enjoyed with family and friends, these activities could become new traditions that will create memories that last a lifetime. Hope you have a spooky and happy Halloween!

Photo 1  | Photo 2  | Photo 3 

Hi! My name is Isabelle Brookover and I am a student at the University of Illinois. I love to write, especially topics about fashion, travel, food and beauty. I enjoy being updated about what the new 'it' products, what events are occuring around the world, and everything in between.
The official page for the University of Illinois Her Campus chapter.