This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Nowadays, our cell phones are a very prominent part of our lives – we bring them practically everywhere with us and use them way more than we should (I for one am totally guilty). Typical apps on a millennial’s phone may include: Instagram, Snapchat, Twitter, Groupme, Spotify and much more. While these apps are fun and are a good way to connect with others, what you may not realize is that there are so many other important apps that are especially beneficial to us students; that is why I decided to share my favorite apps for surviving college, so you guys can too! I feel like there are so many lesser known apps on the market that could positively impact your life, so definitely give them a shot!

1. Illini Bus App

Lets face it – many of us probably have never gone on the bus simply because we don’t know how exactly to use it – been there, done that. Especially now with the cold weather, the bus app will definitely become your new best friend – I know I don’t want to walk to my morning classes in ten degree weather. The app may seem confusing at first, but don’t be afraid to ask your friends for help (or even the people at the bus stop – they know what they’re doing)!

2. Headspace

I’m sure by now we’re all well aware of how stressful college can be. I know when I get anxious from studying and writing papers, using mediation apps like Headspace is extremely helpful. You can take advantage of their free trial, which allows you hundreds of meditation sessions at your finger tips. Hard time falling asleep? Stressed before your exam? Want to learn how to deal with distractions? Headspace has the solution for you- all you need to do is plug in some headphones, close your eyes and relax. 

3. Sleepzy

Sleep- something we all want more of but definitely lack. Getting enough sleep is essential to our mental, physical and emotional well-being, especially as students. Using Sleepzy allows me to track my sleep cycles and see my quality of sleep. This app also functions as an alarm clock that wakes you in your lightest sleep so you have an easier time getting up in the morning. One of my favorite functions is that you can set a sleep goal and the app tells you your “sleep debt” so you stay motivated to get adequate rest. If you find you aren’t sleeping enough, this app is certainly for you!

4. Scanner App/ iScanner

This is hands down one of the most convenient and helpful apps on my phone. The Scanner App does exactly what is sounds like – it allows you to scan anything, (homework, documents, receipts, books etc) and turns it into a PDF or JPEG file.  It also has a feature that allows you to do an e-signature in just the click of a button. I find this app particularly handy when I want to have electronic versions of my written homework/notes.

ProTip: Take some time to browse around the app store – there are apps for literally everything you can think of!

Photo 1 | Photo 2 | Photo 3 | Photo 4

Lauren Weissman

Illinois '21

University of Illinois- Urbana Champaign
The official page for the University of Illinois Her Campus chapter.