The Five Tips Every Collegiate Should Know to Escape Dorm Food while on a Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Going out to eat on campus is sometimes inevitable. Sometimes we just have to escape the greasy and “decent” dining hall food, as Amanda Kosh, freshman in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences calls it. Dining out on a college budget can sometimes be challenging. Here are five great tips on how to escape dorm food without burning a hole in your wallet.

1. Don’t opt for delivery.

Although having your dinner delivered to you may seem convenient, most places charge you for a delivery fee. These fees may only cost a dollar or two, but those dollars can add up if you get delivery often. However, every so often you can make delivery a luxury. Websites like GrubHub allow you to search for the kind of food you want in your area, and it shows you the price of delivery so you won’t be tricked when you go to pay.

2. Take a walk to Green Street.

If you haven’t noticed by now, Green Street has ample options of places to dine – and for reasonable prices. Allison Fields, senior in the College of Media, said she likes to walk to wherever she’s dining to “justify the splurge and get a little exercise.” Restaurants like Potbelly, Panera and Mia Za’s offer great food for great prices and are conveniently located on campus. So, if you find yourself needing a break from the questionable food in the dorms, take a walk to Green Street!

3. Utilize coupons and specials

Using coupons is one of the oldest money-saving tips, but one of the most effective. “I love to sign up for places that give you rewards or free meals for your birthday,” Allison Fields said. Websites like EatCU offer special daily and weekly deals for specific restaurants on the Champaign-Urbana campus. Some restaurants on campus also have running specials. Check out Joe’s Brewery on Saturdays for half-price burgers.

4. Share with your friends

As we all know, portions in America have become bigger than ever. If you go out to eat and aren’t starving, ask a friend if they want to split a meal with you. Chances are that the portion will be big enough for the two of you, and you can order whatever you want without worrying about the cost. What if nobody wants to split with you? Then order off the appetizer menu. Most appetizers are cheaper than regular meals, and cost less.

5. Plan ahead

Yes, it’s easier said than done, but simply planning ahead can save you big bucks. “I definitely want to try and limit the amount of times I eat out each week and try to eat in the dining hall as often as I can,” Amanda Kosh, freshman in the College of Liberal Arts said. Planning and limiting the amount of times you eat out each week allows you to enjoy each meal outside of your dining hall more. Planning ahead each week is a great way to learn how to budget efficiently.  

So, the next time you want to escape that greasy dorm food, keep these five tips in mind when trying to eat on a college budget.