Five Hair Products Every College Girl Needs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

We’ve all been there — plans to wake up and get ready for class turn into hitting the snooze button seven times, frantically tying your hair into a messy bun and throwing on a pair of jeans you just grabbed out of the hamper.

The good news is that having presentable hair doesn’t mean sacrificing sleep.  Investing in products that cater to your hair type can eliminate the use of heat tools and can even help you wake up with luscious locks.

Neutrogena Triple Moisture Deep Recovery Hair Mask and Leave-In Cream

After a platinum-blonde mishap, I tried every expensive conditioner I could get my hands on in an attempt to get my hair back to its original, healthy state. When I found this $5 miracle in a jar, I never went back. This is hands-down the best conditioner I have ever tried (including the ones that I had to sell my soul for.) Although it’s technically a mask, since it’s so inexpensive, I find using it every other day gives me the best results.

After falling in love with the mask, I needed to get my hands on their leave-in product too. The combination of the two will leave even the most over-processed hair shiny and healthy, and won’t break the bank.

Not Your Mother’s Clean Freak Dry Shampoo

An absolute necessity for every college girl: a dry shampoo. Finding the perfect dry shampoo is a daunting task. They can be too drying, too white or just not do enough. This dry shampoo is amazing. It absorbs all of my hair’s excess oil without leaving it dry, and also doesn’t leave a white cast where I spray it. Using it can keep your hair healthier by not washing it too frequently, and can allow you to hit the snooze button on days that a morning shower just isn’t happening.

Rusk Thick Body and Texture Amplifier

A few sprays of this after a shower has the potential to completely change the texture of your hair. As a girl with naturally pin-straight hair, this is a godsend. It lifts hair so it isn’t lying too flat, and doesn’t leave the hair sticky or tacky like many volumizing mousses do. It also gives bit of texture to it, which is ideal if you’re planning on using a heat tool. It genuinely makes hair look thicker.

OGX Biotin & Collagen Shampoo and Conditioner

This shampoo and conditioner combination is perfect for all hair types. The biotin and collagen in it helps hair come to life, and leaves it feeling soft, healthy and shiny. It also adds volume and dimension to the hair, and won’t dry out your hair like many shampoos do.

The official page for the University of Illinois Her Campus chapter.