yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash
yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash
Style > Decor

Festive Halloween Decor on a College Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Fall is finally here, which means the leaves are changing, the weather is getting colder and everything just looks prettier. Fall also means that Halloween is right around the corner! October can be a stressful month with exams, classes and clubs all picking up speed, but Halloween is definitely something to look forward to. If you want to get in the Halloween mood and take a break from everything else, decorating your dorm or apartment can be a fun way to destress and feel better about your space. However, decorating can be hard if you’re on a college-student budget, so below are some resources that are budget-friendly to help you get in the Halloween spirit:

1. Dollar Stores and Thrift Shops

Dollar stores and thrift shops are always undefeated for me when it comes to decorating on a budget. You can find so many cute decorations for cheap at stores like Dollar Tree and Dollar General, and the clearance sections at Walmart and Target are almost always stocked with fall goodies. There are also many good finds at thrift stores — you might just have to look a little harder. Thrift stores are great: they’re inexpensive and reduce waste because you’re repurposing someone else’s old items. It’s exciting to pick out different things to form how you want your room to look like, and shopping gives you a break from stressing about everything else!

2. Community Events

Usually around this time, your dorm or apartment might host community events that involve decorating pumpkins or other fall festivities. These events can help you enjoy yourself and get into the Halloween spirit. I highly recommend taking advantage of these opportunities because they’re free and fun, and you get to spend time with others when you participate. These events allow you to meet people in your building that you haven’t met yet, which is always a good experience. You’ll also feel proud of your project because you created it yourself.

3. DIY

When it comes to decorating, sometimes “doing it yourself” feels the best. Websites such as Pinterest have endless interesting and creative ideas for Halloween decor that are easy and cheap to make. I personally love finding inspiration from somewhere and trying to create the item for myself. So gather some friends, buy what you need and DIY something that catches your eye this Halloween season. You’ll have fun and feel proud of your project when it’s done.

If you’re becoming overwhelmed with your priorities, take a break and destress by trying one of these inexpensive and entertaining decorating ideas. Especially if this is your first time celebrating Halloween on your own, getting in the fall spirit can help you have the best Halloween yet!

Photo 1  | Photo 2  | Photo 3

Corinne is currently a sophomore majoring in Advertising in the College of Media at the University of Illinois.
The official page for the University of Illinois Her Campus chapter.