This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

It’s no secret that for a lot of us, this year hasn’t been easy. There are numerous reasons why you may feel overwhelmed, stressed or down lately. Still, it’s important to take care of yourself the best you can, and sometimes that can be as simple as finding reasons to smile. Here are five lighthearted shows that will put a smile on your face and hopefully lift your mood. All of these shows contain short and sweet episodes running under 30 minutes, so they’re perfect for binging on a day when you just need a good laugh.

1. New Girl

New Girl follows almost thirty-year-old Jessica Day as she navigates adulthood while living in a loft with three male roommates. The show’s hilariously random dialogue will have you laughing until you cry and the loveable characters will quickly win over your heart. The friendship between Jess and her roommates is chaotic, yet heartwarming at the same time and this show will definitely make you feel warm inside. You can watch all seven seasons of New Girl on Netflix.

New Girl Nick Miller TV GIF
Giphy / Fox

2. The Good Place

While this show is about life after death, it’s far from bleak. Kristen Bell stars as Eleanor Shellstrop, who, after dying, is sent to “The Good Place.” While this utopian afterlife is everything she could want and more, she quickly realizes that she might not belong there. It’s so much fun to watch Eleanor and her friends journey through the afterlife as they learn about themselves as well as each other. The show includes witty humor, charming characters, and positive, uplifting messages about what it means to be human. The Good Place came to an end at the beginning of 2020, and all four seasons can be watched on Netflix.

3. Insecure

Created by and starring Emmy-nominated actress Issa Rae, Insecure is all about the daily struggles that black women face. Issa and her best friend Molly are witty, relatable characters who are constantly getting into hilarious shenanigans. The humor on this show is unmatched, the soundtrack is incredible and Issa’s impressive freestyle raps are sure to bring a smile to your face. The show has four seasons with the fifth currently in production and you can watch it on HBO.

Insecure HBO Trailer
HBO

4. PEN15

Seventh grade was an awkward, uncomfortable and probably cringey time for most of us. PEN15 captures that experience in a hysterical, relatable way. The show follows best friends Maya and Anna as they tackle the obstacles that many of us faced in seventh grade such as: first periods, unrequited crushes, maintaining friendships and more. This show is bound to fill you with nostalgia as you cringe and laugh at the ridiculous situations that these girls find themselves in. The show currently has two seasons and you can watch it on Hulu.

5. Schitt’s Creek

Schitt’s Creek won the Emmy for Outstanding Comedy Series this year– and rightfully so. The show is about Johnny and Moira Rose, an extremely wealthy couple who suddenly go broke. Forced to move to a small town called Schitt’s Creek, Johnny, Moira and their two children must learn to adapt to their new lives as lower class citizens. This show is equally amusing and funny, and this family will certainly have you smiling from ear to ear. All six seasons of the series can be watched on Netflix.

Jessica Penny

Illinois '23

I am currently studying communication at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign. I have a strong passion for communicating with others through my writing.
The official page for the University of Illinois Her Campus chapter.