burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Fall 2017 Denim Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Embroidery, uneven hem, fringe- these are just some of the denim trends that have taken over fall fashion this year. Although these denim styles are a necessary addition to your fall wardrobe, they aren’t always made to fit every body type. By following this denim guide, I’ll help you find the jean that fits your body type and helps you stay on top of this fall’s hottest trends. Read on to find the perfect fit for you! 

Hourglass Figure

Good American, Good Waist Cascade Hem Blue 908, $169.00

If you have an hourglass figure, your body is most likely shaped like a figure eight, that is, you have a fuller bust, smaller waist, and bigger hips, thighs and butt. Just because your lower section may be curvier doesn’t mean you still can’t rock the fall denim trends! Look for jeans that are all one solid tone, not faded, high-rise styles and a little flare. These styles will hug your body in all the right places! 

Petite/Short Torso

Levi’s, 501 Floral Embroidered Crop Taper Jeans, $76.80

If you’re petite or have a short torso, look for styles that are tighter around your waist and sit lower on your waist. These styles will give the illusion that your torso is much longer than it is! Also look for dark washes that will elongate your legs and cropped jeans. Don’t be afraid to wear boyfriend style jeans! 

Tall/Long Torso 

ZARA, The Real Slim Flare Jeans in Samurai Blue, $69.90

If you’re tall, finding jeans can be a serious struggle because they’re either too short or just don’t hit you in the right places. If you do have longer legs and a longer torso, search for jeans that are tight at your thighs but flare at the bottom. This style of jean will even out your proportions, show off your legs, and not draw attention to them for the wrong reasons! Also, don’t shy away from color blocking or faded styles!  

Straight Up and Down 

Free People, Amelia Embroidered Crop Jeans, $122.00

If you have little to no curves and a small backside, have no fear! Stay away from skinner styles that will only make you look even flatter. Instead, try looking for straight style jeans with more coverage around your backside. Look out for large pockets that can be flattering. This style is a nice mix between a boyfriend and a skinny and will accentuate the curves that you do have!

Above all, try on as many pairs as you want to! Finding the right pair of jeans can make you feel more confident and can be gratifying. Remember, if the jeans don’t fit your body type and you don’t love them, don’t buy them!  

Photo 1 Photo 2 Photo 3 Photo 4

Sam Schrage

Illinois '20

Hi everyone! I am currently a senior at the University of Illinois studying journalism and public relations. I am also the co-campus correspondent for the University of Illinois chapter of Her Campus and am excited to be leading a team of great women this year. I love fashion, music and travel and hope to write for a fashion magazine after graduation.
The official page for the University of Illinois Her Campus chapter.