This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

It is officially Spring and you know what that means… it’s time to do outdoorsy photoshoots with your friends. It’s time to stay outside the whole day and never go back to your apartment! Jokes aside, spring is the culmination of the perfect weather, balancing out the light breeze with the warm sun. Everything seems like it’s smiling: the flowers, the trees, the birds, the bunnies and did I say the flowers? 

Seeing that everything is illuminated in positivity, your pictures will turn out amazing regardless of what outdoor backdrop you pick. Literally, a picture of you grinning in front of a tall tree, with the sunlight seeping through the leaves lightly falling on your face, would embody Spring. That being said, these are some unique surroundings and angles you and your friends can pick. 

Woman laying on purple and white flowers
Photo by Clarke Sanders from Unsplash

The first key thing to remember is that to accentuate the beauty of being outside, you have to be outside! Try exploring the different corners of campus; sometimes buildings you have never been to are surrounded by beautiful trees and flowers. Capture true moments with your friends. If you and your friends have been spending an excessive amount of time on the Quad, as you should, showcase that. Regardless of whether you are just laying there, doing a picnic, or playing frisbee, make it a part of the picture because your excitement will show. 

If the Quad feels like it’s an overdone spot, there is always the popular Japan Garden. There are loads of different types of plants, trees and flowers here. The rest of the arboretum and the farms surrounding the Garden are also amazing spots to get pictures on campus. I mean who doesn’t like a cute cow or horse? 

woman standing in a sunflower field
Photo by Matteo Vistocco from Unsplash

All else fails, there are numerous public parks and forests in the Champaign-Urbana neighborhood for you to enjoy. Maybe pick a Saturday morning to discover your own unique park with your friends. Each one has its own personality and there are always a lot of cute dogs who are guaranteed to brighten your day.

When it comes to the pictures themselves, don’t be afraid to get close. The colors of the flowers or even the grass are so vibrant during the day, ask your “photographer” to move close instead of zooming in. Any angle is a pretty angle if you are confident. You could lay on the soft grass looking up at the sky, you could be sitting on a tree, you could be sitting in a bed of flowers, whatever feels natural.

two person lying on grass near teal city bike
Alisa Anton/Unsplash

Finally, when you do have your final pick of pictures I highly recommend disconnecting from your phones before you head back. Simply exist with nature. You’ll notice how loud the singing birds actually are. You’ll see the squirrels making their runs with acorns. Best of all, you will really smell the flowers and Spring air.

Hi there, Nandika here! I am currently a Senior at the University of Illinois, Urbana- Champaign. I'm double majoring in Communications and Psychology with minors in Business and Public Relations. In my free time, I love biking, long walks, listening to music, and spending time with animals and friends. I really enjoy writing and I'm enthusiastic to contribute :)
The official page for the University of Illinois Her Campus chapter.