This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

No matter how long, what texture or how much of it you have, hair is something that requires special care and attention. However, as a fellow curly-headed girl, I know that curly hair can sometimes be a little trickier and stressful to work with. While there are hundreds of products out there for you to try, these are some staples that you should definitely have if you have curly hair that will make you and your curls happy. These items can be found on Amazon, Target, Walmart or your local beauty supply store and will benefit all types of curly hair.

Woman Holding Lollipop
Aline Viana / Pexels

1. Denman Brush

This brush is ideal for detangling and defining your curls. I recommend brushing through your curls in sections and only when your hair is wet. It’s also helpful to use this brush after applying product to evenly distribute it through your curls.

2. Miss Jessie’s: Pillow Soft Curls

A lightweight, moisturizing curl definer is essential to enhance your curls and Miss Jessie’s Pillow Soft Curls is exactly that. While slightly on the pricier side ($22), a little of this product goes a long way and it will last you for months. Miss Jessie’s offers different versions of this product depending on your curl type and the kind of definition you’re trying to achieve. These include: Multicultural Curls, Jelly Soft Curls, Coily Custard and more!

3. Garnier Fructis Nourishing Treats 1-Minute Hair Mask

These $6 hair masks will change your life. They’re affordable, smell amazing and make detangling your curls a breeze. Just like its name says, the mask can be rinsed out after only one minute, but feel free to leave it in for longer. I like to use it after shampooing as a conditioner. This product is extremely moisturizing and your curls will love it.

4. Microfiber Towel

Curly hair is prone to getting frizzy if not handled carefully. An easy way to prevent frizz is to use a microfiber towel when drying your curls after a shower. You can also opt for an oversized t-shirt.

Nordstrom

5. Spray Bottle

Water is your curls’ best friend. So, having a good quality spray bottle to refresh your curls on days you aren’t getting them wet in the shower is extremely important. Try to only use cold water on your hair to retain moisture and reduce frizz.  

6. Silk/Satin Pillowcase

An important part of keeping your curls healthy is taking proper precautions when going to sleep. Sleeping on a silk or satin pillowcase will reduce frizz and keep your curls moisturized throughout the night. Also, satin pillowcases are not only great for your hair, but your skin too!

Sephora

Having these essentials will make your curly hair routine much easier and your curls will thank you for it!

woman sitting and smiling excitement
Pexels / @instaguilherme

Jessica Penny

Illinois '23

I am currently studying communication at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign. I have a strong passion for communicating with others through my writing.
The official page for the University of Illinois Her Campus chapter.