This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

It’s officially Halloween; AKA my personal favorite time of year. I mean, who doesn’t love the season when you get to dress up in fun costumes and the world revolves around pumpkin spice? Unfortunately, it may no longer be socially acceptable for college-aged kids to go trick-or-treating, but that doesn’t mean we can’t still get into the Halloween spirit with spooky October décor. Luckily, there are tons of affordable home goods for your dorm, apartment or wherever your home away from home is. So, make room for some candy corn jars and jack-o-lantern LED lights, because here are my favorite Halloween pieces that’ll make your room perfect for this spooky season!

1. Carved Pumpkins

Not only is this an inexpensive decoration, but it’s also a super fun DIY activity to do with a group of friends. Pour a couple glasses of cider (maybe spiked) and go to town carving. If you’re not feeling like getting your hands too dirty (or cleaning up a huge mess), feel free to paint the outside of the pumpkin instead. Whatever you decide to do, get creative and make it your own! I’m sure you’ll have the best looking one out of the group. 

Jack-O-Laterns
Photo by rescueram3 from Pixabay

2. Candy Mason Jars

Fill up some cheap mason jars from Target’s clearance section with colored candy like Halloween M&M’s or candy corn. Go off and place them all around your house, whether that be piling up on your counter-tops or coffee-tables. Not only do they look great but they taste great too! Plus, you can re-use the mason jars to make your morning coffee or smoothie looking extra trendy. 

Halloween jack-o-lantern mug filled with candy corn
Photo by Sarah Gualtieri from Unsplash

3. Caution Tape & Cobwebs 

These two options are super cheap and easy decorations to put literally anywhere you want! Put in on your doors, or hang it from the ceiling or even around railings. You can buy a giant roll of caution tape from Amazon and get a huge bag of cobwebs from the dollar store. The best part is that these decorations make for a super easy cleanup (if you’ll ever even want to take them down). Let’s get spooky!

4. Colored LED Lights

Going into Nordstrom or Macy’s can be overwhelming. Those $50 glass black cats might be adorable and would look amazing in your apartment but believe me, you don’t need to break the bank in order to decorate. Cheaper retailers such as Amazon and Target have tons of pieces that illuminate the spooky vibes of Halloween. Buy some orange LED fairy string lights from Target for only $4.00 or splurge a little and go for the plastic spider lights for $10.00. There are tons of other options like skulls, flickering cats and jack-o-lanterns to choose from! The dim lighting will give off the perfect glow for a creepy vibe. 

string lights wrapped around pumpkin
Photo by ?ukasz Nie?cioruk from Unsplash

Happy Halloween!

I am a junior at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign and I am super passionate about writing, style, and inspiring young girls to be confident and to achieve their goals!
The official page for the University of Illinois Her Campus chapter.