This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Connie: The Infamous AXiD House Mom

Most college students have at some point questioned the importance of having house moms living in sorority chapter houses. For the lucky young women who have lived in a sorority with a house mom, this article will just be a reiteration of what you already know: house moms rock. There are a variety of reasons house moms better sorority chapters, but there’s unfortunately only one Connie. Of course I wasn’t going to bore you by listing off characteristics that all house moms fit under. Beyond putting together events, managing exec members’ duties and working with house chefs, Connie has truly touched the lives of our Alpha Xi Delta chapter members.

1. She doubles your outfit choices!

Connie’s closet is overflowing with crazy fun vintage fashion pieces like cheetah blazers, reversible prints like this jacket pictured, and even two full-length Japanese wedding dresses. I kid you not, she has worn one of these distinct printed dresses for Dad’s weekend one year!

2. She keeps it real

When girls are frazzled and need advice on relationships, grades, or just life in general, Connie’s humble abode on the third floor of AXiD is always a go-to. She even created a “Sunday Social” as a fun activity for the girls living in the house to mingle with fraternity boys without involving alcohol for once. Playing cards and setting up a nacho bar was a huge success, and the girls ended up wanting to do this every week!

3. She is wise beyond her years

“I try to go to bed every night with a good conscious. Having a good clear head is important, meaning that I try to eat healthy, get exercise, be patient, and have a mental agenda.” Connie has traveled all over the world, including Thailand, Mongolia with National Geographic, Denmark, France, Italy, Puerto Rico, Caribbean, Bahamas, Exhumes islands, Japan, Taiwan. She also paints and her paintings have even been featured in art shows. A better question here is what does Connie not do?!

I decided to do a mini interview with Connie to gage how her life is like being a house mama:

Q#1: What sparked your interest in becoming a house mom?

I googled “Best places to live for single mature women” and sorority house director popped up. She was in alpha xi delta back in 1964. Over the phone interview for Zeta Tau Alpha (they were not girls they were looking for, not like her granddaughters) only stayed year. Temp job for 4 months here, then stayed for 5 years now.

Q#2: How do you manage to stay so organized with your administrative tasks amidst our chaos?

I’m an organized person to begin with, I have an organized mind. I set an intention every day to exercise, yoga 3 days a week, which makes you focus on what you need to do for the day. I don’t like to procrastinate or put things off. I’ve been able to create more time for myself by giving 200% when 75% would probably suffice.

Q#3: What has been the highlight so far (if you can narrow down to one or two)

I LOVE the girls. I learn something new about them every day. My wisdom of living for 72 years helps with my judgement on how to deal with issues. It’s something I can give to the girls in the house by leading by example. My least favorite thing is disciplining when necessary. I like watching people coming in as freshmen as being able to see their growth by taking different roles in the chapter and in learning.

Q#4: Most importantly, how do you have so much energy?! What is your secret to being so lively, bubbly, and upbeat?

I don’t even feel old, today I signed up for boxing lessons! I’ve always been high energy, I drive my children crazy since they just want me to sit down.

The official page for the University of Illinois Her Campus chapter.