Commencement Speeches all 2020 Graduates Need to Hear

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

While graduation undeniably looks different this year, there are so many ways to honor and celebrate the hard work of the class of 2020. There may not be a cap and gown or the chance to walk across the stage like normal, but that should not diminish anyone’s accomplishments and future plans. You’re all to be celebrated today and everyday, for your triumph and commitment throughout the current circumstances. Below are some speeches I have found, and encourage you to listen to. Take a minute to listen to these speeches, laugh at the jokes, and appreciate all you have accomplished. You deserve it. 

1. Conan O’Brien’s Speech for Dartmouth’s Class of 2011

First up, Conan O’Brien’s speech at Dartmouth College in 2011. His speech is very comical and tries to relate to the students in several ways, starting with “I wrote this speech similarly to how you all treat a serious term paper, I started late last night with two redbulls.” He provides advice to the students, the parents and the other faculty members in a humorous way to encourage the next steps and admiration of the work through each student. This is his second graduation speech, to which he hopes to address the failures of life and to not fear failure. Disappointment is undoubtedly difficult to understand and appreciate, but is inevitable for success.

seven graduates throwing their hats
Unsplash

2. Steve Jobs’ Speech for Stanford’s Class of 2005

Next up, Steve Jobs at Stanford University class of 2005. He talks about how he never graduated from college, but reflects on three stories and how they’ve impacted him. The importance of connecting the dots in life, doing what you are passionate about and reflecting on the experiences you have. He struggled to see the value in his education and what he wanted to do, leading to his decision to drop out, “one of the best decisions I ever made.” While a hard decision, he was able to find the beauty in life and discover passion in its truest form, all by following his intuition and heart. 

Woman In Black Long Sleeve Dress Standing On Brown Concrete
Stanley Morales / Pexels

3. Ellen Degeneres’ Speech to Tulane’s Class of 2009

One of my all time favorite people, Ellen Degeneres gave a speech to the Tulane University class of 2009, highlighting the challenges she faced in the workplace in a humorous and intellectual way. This graduating class was the “Katrina Class” who entered in fall of 2005. She was lost after graduating high school and didn’t have a clear path of what she hoped to do in the future, hoping to make enough money to pay for cable. “I had no idea what I was doing, at your age, I was dating men,” she jokes, but summing that she had no idea what she wanted to do in life. When she was 19, her girlfriend at the time passed away in a car accident that she drove past, not knowing it was her. After taking the time to analyze and began writing, she began her path of stand-up, continuing her career. 

4. Suze Orman’s Speech to UIUC’s Class of 2009

Finally, for the UIUC family, the 2009 commencement address of Suze Orman. She never graduated, but stayed on campus pursuing her social work degree through all four years. On a whim, she bought a van, drove to California and lived out of her car while waiting tables for the next three months. She got a job as a waitress at Buttercup Bakery, until she wanted to open her own restaurant, but didn’t have the funds to do it. One man she was serving came together with the others she served and handed her a total of $50,000 to begin her dream. Although this money didn’t last and her dreams at the time were not completed, she eventually started a new career as a broker, and as she studied, she learned that her financial advisor invested her money in an illegal way, was told to keep her mouth shut about the issue, later suing the company while she worked for them, and won. She later states, “I tell you that story so that you never ever forget to do what is right versus doing what is easy.”

money money
unsplash

Even if we’re all in the dumps and upset about what life looks like, just now that what you do matters. You’re on this Earth for a reason and that choice is up to you. You’re capable of making and being the difference. Congratulations to the class of 2020, you did it!

Confetti
Photo by Pablo Heimplatz on Unsplash

Hi everyone! I am currently a Sophomore planning to study Marketing and Information Systems, with a passion for writing both professionally and conversationally.
The official page for the University of Illinois Her Campus chapter.