This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Thanksgiving is right around the corner, and if you’re like me, you’re probably wondering how to celebrate given the state of the world. While many things have been canceled this year, we are lucky that turkey and pumpkin pie can be enjoyed virtually anywhere! This time of year is meant to be spent with those you care about most and showing your gratefulness is one of the best things about this Holiday. However, like most things, this time will probably look different this year due to COVID-19 precautions. Lucky for you, all hope is not lost! Here are some fun ways to still give thanks, while also staying safe.

1. Zoom Bake-off:

Get competitive in the kitchen! Coordinate a Thanksgiving bake-off with friends, relatives, or both! Decide on a category and see where your creativity can take you. Fall is the perfect time to bake, so put on an apron and get to it. May the best baker win.

Coronavirus
Unsplash

2. Zoomsgiving:

We are all used to Zoom at this point, so why not make it festive? Take some time to share recipes with family and have a virtual dinner on Zoom, Skype, Google Meet, or any other avenue of virtual calling. Bring some excitement into the call by planning a game, crafting your favorite cocktail (for my 21+ friends), or preparing to share what you are most thankful about this year via breakout rooms.

Cute artsy picnic
Photo by Anna Guerreo from Pexels

3. Thanksgiving Picnic:

If you are lucky enough to live somewhere warm at this time of year, make a plan to move Thanksgiving dinner outdoors. Not only does being outdoors limit your risk of exposure, but the fall leaves also make a nice backdrop to any event. Set up some tables, a fire pit, and blankets to create an even cozier ambiance.

4. Remix the menu:

There is no better time to switch things up and create some new traditions. Add some new non-traditional items to the menu like a pumpkin ravioli or butternut squash mac & cheese to spice up your usual spread. This can help create some new memories in place of the old that you may not be able to do this year.

Banana Bread
Helena Lin / Spoon
Despite the fact that some things will look different this year, Thanksgiving is about giving thanks for what we have. Amongst all the craziness that has been 2020, take some time to spend with yourself and really note your gratitude. Expressing gratitude is something that can be done any day of the year, but what better way to finish off this month than with giving thanks (and a slice of pumpkin pie)!

Christine Sheriff is a Senior majoring in Communications. In her free time you can find Christine baking, curating the perfect Spotify playlist, or trying to learn how to paint.
The official page for the University of Illinois Her Campus chapter.