C-U Asian Restaurant Recommendations

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

The Champaign-Urbana area is full of restaurants that serve all types of food. Asian food is one popular type of food in the area, which can make it hard to choose from a large selection of restaurants. If you’re unfamiliar with which places are good or looking to try new foods, here is a list of Asian restaurants, on and off-campus, you should try: 

On-Campus:

1. Bap Plus: 700 S. Gregory St., Urbana, IL, 61801 

If you’re looking for a good Korean restaurant on campus, Bap Plus is the one. There is a meaning behind the restaurant’s name: “Bap” means “rice” in Korean. If you ask for more rice, you’ll get your bowl refilled for no cost. It also has a large variety of items on the menu, ranging from noodles to rice to soups, that have different levels of spiciness.

2. Jip Bap: 601 S. 6th St. Suite 101, Champaign, IL 61820

Jip Bap is great take-out food, as the entire meal fits into a cup. The food is similar to a Chipotle burrito bowl, but with rice and other Asian ingredients. It is a quick and easy option if you want to take something to eat with you. 

3. Ozu Ramen: 601 S 6th St Suite 102, Champaign, IL 61820

Japanese ramen is way different from other types of ramen and especially the instant ramen noodles college students like to eat. To try it, go to Ozu Ramen for a variety of Japanese soup, noodle, and rice dishes that will surely make your taste buds happy.

4. Bangkok Thai: 410 E. Green St., Champaign, IL 61820 

This restaurant offers hearty portions of delicious Thai foods, including popular dishes such as curry, Pad Thai, and Pho. The cooks are great at getting your food out in a timely manner, making it the perfect place to grab food on the go in between classes. You may even get two meals out of one dish because of the big portions! 

5. Kung Fu Tea: 707 S. 6th St. Suite 107, Champaign, IL 61820

Kung Fu Tea, often referring to as KFT, is a great place to grab bubble tea and a tasty sushi snack. The store sells different foods, two of the more popular ones being poke bowls and sushi burritos, if you want something to eat with your drink. You can also play one of the board games that are available to use in the store. 

6. Cravings: 603 S. Wright St., Champaign, IL 61820

If you’re having cravings (haha, get it?) for yummy Asian food, the restaurant Cravings has a long menu with dishes from many parts of Asia, including India, Thailand, Malaysia, China and more. It’s affordable — you’ll get a decent portion for a good price — and in a prime location, as it’s relatively close to the Main Quad and near the Engineering Quad. 

7. Sakanaya: 403 E. Green St., Champaign, IL, 61820

Sakanaya is on the fancier side compared to the other restaurants on this list. It is a good restaurant to eat at on special occasions, such as a birthday or date night. However, prepare to wait for some time because there’s almost always a long line — that’s just how good the sushi is!

Off-Campus:

1. Star Karaoke: 1503 Lyndhurst Alley, Savoy, IL 61874

This restaurant is famous for having karaoke rooms as well as the best Korean-style chicken and pizza. All of the other items on the menu are also delicious and taste like a home-cooked meal. Although it’s not in Champaign or Urbana, many students still make the trip to Savoy because of the yummy food. 

2. Moki Sushi: 2017 S. Neil St., Champaign, IL 61820

Looking for an all-you-can-eat sushi place near campus? Moki Sushi is one that is good for its value. Prices vary depending on the time of day and whether it’s a weekend or weekday. You also don’t have to choose the all-you-can-eat option; you can order individual dishes like any other sushi restaurant that are just as delicious.

3. Ko-Fusion: 1 E. Main St., Champaign, IL, 61820 

There are two Ko-Fusions in the C-U area: one in Downtown Champaign and one in Urbana. Although both are tasty, the one in Downtown Champaign has a higher quality venue and better-tasting food. It’s also another good place to go to on a special occasion and is a fusion of Japanese and Korean dishes.

Photo courtesy of Julie Kang

Julie Kang

Illinois '20

Julie Kang is a Journalism major at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. In her free time, Julie enjoys ice skating, shopping, talking and eating with friends and reading. Follow her on Instagram at @julieebaaby
The official page for the University of Illinois Her Campus chapter.