This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Coming into your own takes time and if you find yourself considering that you might be Bisexual, this fashion guide is for you. If you are bi-curious or hetero-flexible, chances are you have taken closer notice to your sexual preferences, or personal behavior and habits. 

While these could be nonspecific quirks that have been labeled as being “gay” like ordering an oat milk latte at a cafe, collecting an abnormal amount of plants,  or being super into biking and Harry Styles, there is something very specific to any individual’s essence: their clothing.

Harry Styles performing at the 2021 Grammy Awards
Photo by Francis Specker / CBS

So whether you want to explore your now very expansive wardrobe choice or are looking for a way to let others know you are Bi or are trying to figure out if your crush is also Bi or gay, clothes speak volumes. Again these suggestions by no mean that no one else would wear them, these are just generalizations and labeled clothing items that I have personally noticed and used myself!

If you are anything like me, you probably already had some of these items hiding in your closet (no pun intended), before you came out to yourself. 

Let’s look at options for what you could wear on top. 

Celina Timmerman-Girl On Bleachers
Celina Timmerman / Her Campus

The honest truth is you could wear whatever you’d like. In fact, if you are a bold dresser this is your time to experiment! That being said, there are also some old tried and tested classics. One of these is a good ol’ flannel. Flannels are definitely a solid choice that you could pair with so many things. You could wear them buttoned all the way up, you could leave them unbuttoned with a cute t-shirt or bodysuit or cami under. Another very simple, yet classic look is cuffed t-shirts, these could be oversized graphic ones or literally any regular t-shirt too. If you liked the flannel suggestion above you might be a shirt person, and so dress or patterned shirts may be the way to go. Sometimes you could pair your sweatshirt with a cute turtle neck under it. And to bring the whole look together pair anything with your jean jacket or leather jacket and voila! A denim jacket, you’ll soon learn is a must, bonus points if it’s a little oversized. Another add on that would look amazing to events or a brunch with your friends in Downtown Champaign is a solid suit jacket or blazer. You’ll look and feel equal parts confident.

Thinking about bottoms.

Now the perfect, go-to pairing with any top is an honestly trusty pair of cuffed jeans, notice how I said cuffed just then? CUFFED. You can tuck your t-shirts into your jeans for a solid going to class look. Maybe add a belt. Now if jeans aren’t really your thing plaid pants or patterned pants work just fine. If all else fails, cargo pants are a comfortable alternative. Now my favorite part, the shoes. Notice the shoes! Doc Martens, Chelsea boots, Vans, Converse are, again, some classics. In general, wearing all black or baggy clothing can be the move too.

girl with jean jacket in front of diner
Taylor Thoman / Her Campus

Lastly, accessorize. 

There is specific jewelry that speaks to your personality.  Multiple band-rings as opposed to rings with single gems is a good choice. Ever have trouble picking just one necklace? Well, you could actually wear multiple necklaces, each being a different type if you’d like. You could wear a chain and pair it with necklaces with locks or keys or crystals. Beanies and baseball caps are comfy, a good trick to cover greasy hair, and also a pretty handy accessory to almost any outfit. 

At the end of the day, there are a bajillion options for what you could wear or notice someone else wearing. What you wear is a part of who you are, and you’ll soon figure out what works or doesn’t work for you. You might even find that you hated all the options I just listed and that’s just as fine too! Just be you.

Hi there, Nandika here! I am currently a Senior at the University of Illinois, Urbana- Champaign. I'm double majoring in Communications and Psychology with minors in Business and Public Relations. In my free time, I love biking, long walks, listening to music, and spending time with animals and friends. I really enjoy writing and I'm enthusiastic to contribute :)
The official page for the University of Illinois Her Campus chapter.