Wellness

The Best Snacks to Eat While Studying to Boost Productivity

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Finals are approaching and it is important to stay on top of your game. Sometimes it seems like when you’re hitting the books, they’re just hitting you right back. It is important to avoid caffeine, nicotine, and fat-filled foods as these could contribute to mental block. A proper diet built on protein, omega-3, and other healthy fats with high fiber can improve your focus, boost your energy, and increase brain function. Let’s find the recipe for your success with these power foods: 

1. Edamame

Edamame is high in protein and fiber and perfect for something to quickly tie you over until you can leave the library. 

2. Apples and peanut butter​

This is a healthy alternative to eating chips and dip. Apples can give you some healthy sugars to boost your energy, while peanut butter is high in protein, filling your stomach and boosting your productivity as a result.

3. Smoothies

Instead of coffee, try making a smoothie with every power food you can think of. Add a scoop of protein powder to make this smoothie a meal to-go!  

4. Almonds and cashews

Nuts are a perfect source of protein, healthy fats, and fiber that can balance blood sugar levels. Nuts are also an excellent source of magnesium, which is a mineral that plays a key role in converting food into energy. It is also very easy to bring this snack into libraries for a yummy but ~quiet~ snack to munch on.

5. Eggs

Make some hard-boiled eggs for lunch or scramble some eggs when you wake up for breakfast. Eggs are considered a “complete protein” which means that eggs contain all nine essential amino acids the body can’t create on its own. Eggs also contain important vitamins the body needs to create energy. The yolk itself provides carotenoids that help with mental processes.

6. Chocolate

Yes – chocolate! Chocolate can improve your mood and focus, but only if it isn’t your typical, sugary Snickers or Hershey’s Chocolate bar and if it isn’t eaten in excess. Find a nutritious dark chocolate bar instead. Some can actually be a good source of omega-3 DHA and will help sustain your energy instead of making you crash after a brief sugar rush.

Photo 1 | Photo 2 | Photo 3 | Photo 4 | Photo 5 | Photo 6 

Micayla Shevlin

Illinois '21

Micayla is a junior at the University of Illinois-Urbana Champaign. She is currently an Advertising major and has loved writing short stories and poetry ever since she was little.
Gloriann Lance

Illinois '19

Hi! My name is Gloriann Lance and I am a senior at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign. I am one of the two Campus Correspondents for the 2018-2019 school year and I have been on Her Campus for 3 years.