This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

As a college student, whether you’re looking to study, want to meet up with a friend or just need a quick pick me up, it is essential to know your school’s coffee situation. So, I’m breaking down some of my favorite coffee spots on UIUC’s campus.  

CAFE PARADISO

My personal favorite coffee shop on all of campus is Cafe Paradiso. The inside is vibrant and filled with life and there’s even a shelf of board games if you and your friends are in the mood for a little friendly competition. It is a great place to just sit and catch up with a friend or even grind out some work if you are the kind who likes some background noise. Not only is the coffee delicious but they even have a menu with drinks created and named after each of their workers! And when it is nice weather you can soak in the sun while enjoying your drink on their outdoor seating. 

ESPRESSO ROYALE 

Espresso Royale has really made a name for themselves and for a good reason. They have multiple locations on and around campus with the newest location right by the Illini Bookstore. As a loyal customer, I was also excited to learn that they have punch cards as well as an app where you can place mobile orders. My favorite location for catching up with a friend is on Oregon street right by Krannert Center due to its size and spaciousness with two floors of seating. However, when I have mountains of work to do, CIF is my go-to. With the big windows and large tables, you can spend hours working while still getting the coffee shop vibe. Also, keep an eye out for their weekly promotions: Mocha Mondays, Latte Wednesdays and Chai Fridays, where you can buy all these drinks for half the usual price.

BREW LAB 

For those more invested in the beverages themselves and those who like to try different artisanal coffees and teas, Brew Lab is the way to go. This cute coffee shop is located just off the hustle and bustle of Green and has an extra room of seating if you want to sit and stay for a bit. It is definitely worth a try if you are looking to expand your coffee tasting palette and learn about new drinks.

ETC COFFEEHOUSE 

Although, this is not an official coffee shop, I thought I’d give ETC coffeehouse a shoutout. Located right off Green by the Sidney Lu Engineering Building, this little oasis welcomes all kinds of people to free tea, coffee and snacks. It is a safe space to just unwind and play games with some friends, get a little work done or just escape the Midwest cold in-between classes. 

OFF-CAMPUS 

I also wanted to briefly shout out two off-campus options for those looking to venture out a little. In downtown Urbana, there is “The Cafeteria and Company” which has tons of seating and tables, great for working. It is also located right next to an alleyway decked out in art, perfect for taking pictures. There is also “The Literary” in downtown Champaign, which is not only a coffee shop but also a bookstore, so you can order your coffee and read away the day. It is woman-owned and they also host special events and book clubs, which you can look for on their Instagram.  

Rawan El-Bawab

Illinois '26

My name is Rawan, I'm a freshmen at UIUC from Chicago and I'm super excited to be a part of Her Campus! A little about me, I pretty much spend all my free time hanging out with friends, watching movies/TV shows and listening to music.