This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Astrology is super trendy right now, but it’s existed for hundreds of years. And like a lot of things, it may seem super overwhelming at first. I want to offer some advice and a little bit of a crash course on it (and how seriously you should be taking it). Just as a little disclaimer, I recently got into astrology only about a few months, so I’m very much a beginner! 

neon sign saying think about things differently
Pexels / Ivan Bertolazzi

I think astrology is just one of those things you either love or hate. For the longest time, I was definitely super against it. I imagined silly, ambiguous horoscopes in newspapers or strange older ladies reading tarot cards and telling fortunes at three in the morning. True astrology is much more complex than that and to an extent, it’s a little bit silly. You definitely shouldn’t be basing your entire life decisions on it. But it’s interesting to delve into and it’ll draw attention to parts of your personality you probably hadn’t considered before. It can be a fun thing for you and your friends to compare and a way to get to know other people too! 

Sun shining from behind clouds
Pixabay

Astrology, as the name suggests, is the “study” of where the stars/other celestial bodies were positioned the exact time you were born, so getting your birth time from your mom is super important! If you’re a beginner, I recommend just focusing on your sun, moon and rising signs first. I would probably say they’re the most common signs to read about and are the easiest to apply to your life. 

Stars in the night sky
Photo by Sven Scheuermeier on Unsplash

1. Sun

This is the sign you probably already know. At its most basic, it’s your identity or your ego and it’s who you are essentially. When you see zodiac posts on Instagram, this is usually the sign you should be looking at, unless the post specifically says otherwise. 

2. Moon

This one is what controls your emotions and moods. While the sun is who you are, your moon is who you believe yourself to be. For example, my moon is in Capricorn, which means I tend to repress my emotions in the name of responsibility. 

3. Rising

This one can also be called your ascendant depending on the source you use. This is how you present yourself to the world. This is what people experience when they first meet you. My rising is also in Capricorn, which means I can initially come off as serious or grave. 

If you’re absolutely unfamiliar with astrology I would recommend these two apps, for their convenience and user-friendliness. Co-star is a fairly simple and super aesthetically pleasing app that explains exactly what each body means, and what house it’s in (which I still don’t really get, but that info. is there if you do!) It gives you a short little thought of the day, as well as a slightly longer daily reading, and you can use it to compare how compatible you are to your friends. It can be a little vague, and my friends and I have found its not always accurate, but it’s a great place to start. Another one would be the Pattern, which is much more specific, informational and it’s my personal favorite. It isn’t as beautifully designed, but the information it gives is super precise, and you can scroll for ages through it. It also gives a broad horoscope for the world, and you can compare romantic partners and friends there too. 

Maybe you’ll now be inspired to learn exactly what Mercury in retrograde means! 

Katie Mek

Illinois '22

The official page for the University of Illinois Her Campus chapter.