A Sleepy Girl’s Guide To The Perfect Bedtime Routine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

It’s no secret that after a long, relaxing holiday break, a majority of college students find themselves struggling to get back on track with their normal sleep schedule. Fighting the urge to stay up late, many students find themselves struggling to fall and stay asleep throughout the night. However, I would like to think that I have mastered this process over the years. It’s time to get comfortable! Here is my guide to the perfect bedtime routine!

Start off With Some Self Care!

To allow your body to relax after a long day of classes, hop in the warm shower and begin your pampering session. Wash your hair with your favorite shampoo and conditioner, grab your favorite hair mask and let that set, exfoliate your skin with a natural scrub, and use sleep-inducing scents such as eucalyptus, mint and lavender. Lather up with your favorite moisturizer, pop on an overnight lip mask and allow your hair to air dry. Throw on your favorite pajama set, fuzzy socks and cozy slippers to get comfortable! Bonus points: If you want to save some time in the morning, consider using your damp hair to create some bouncy overnight heatless curls!

Grab a Quick, Healthy Snack!

Before heading to bed, consider heading over to your kitchen to find a snack! Laying in your bed while craving some sweet treats or salty chips can distract you from a good night’s sleep. I prefer to create my very own snack board, as the possibilities are truly endless. Plate up some trail mix, your favorite fruit, a few salty crackers and maybe even a few pieces of chocolate! I recommend indulging in these snack items an hour or two before bed so that you have time to properly digest your food before falling asleep for the night!

Trail Mix
Christin Urso / Spoon

Stay Hydrated!

Are you still having some trouble falling asleep? Make yourself a sleepy girl mocktail! Grab your favorite fancy glass, and fill it with ice, cherry juice, sparkling water or your favorite prebiotic soda. If you’re looking for something a little less sweet, consider trying a warm herbal tea. And before you settle into bed, make sure to fill up your water bottle! This prevents you from having to get up in the middle of the night and head to the kitchen for a drink. I personally love using my Stanley Tumbler, as I find that it keeps my water cold all night long!

Turn Off Your Screens!

As tempting as it may be, plug your electronic devices for the night and leave them be! You also want to avoid watching your favorite late-night shows and movies, as the blue light from the screens tricks your brain into staying awake. Consider reading a book, listening to classical music or coloring an adult coloring book. These fun activities will cause you to become naturally tired over time and ready for bed within an hour or less!

Calli Kraft

Illinois '27

Hello all! I'm Calli Kraft, a student at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign. My major is Advertising and I am also working towards a minor in Public Relations. As a freshman, Her Campus is the first club I have joined! I am so grateful to be a part of their team.